CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

11th September 2021, 01:50
Where to begin! 😫

This week's crossword is by Brendan and has a literary theme. At the risk of sounding like a philistine, I have to admit that I didn't know some of the names which meant I found it very difficult indeed.

I did finally get the green tick but only after pretty much guessing 8d.

If you do get stuck there's a couple of anagrams in the downs.

FOI was 1a (a false dawn if ever there was oneπŸ˜…)

11a - is the answer really arrived at by removing "initial and final cuts"?

22d - I thought there was an accepted convention against naming anyone still living - maybe I've got that wrong though?

COD - I was going to say 17a but it just got pipped at the post by 19d - what an image that conjures πŸ˜‚

Thanks to Brendan for a very challenging crossword:-)

Did you find this as difficult as me, or did you know all the people mentioned?

As always, please leave a comment letting us know how you got on and, if you do get stuck - don't hesitate to ask for a hint.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 89  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th September 2021, 01:53
Hi Brendan,
Thanks for starting the thread! I was just about to post a duplicate, but noticed just in time.
Copying and pasting:

Thanks to (setter) Brendan for an interesting and challenging Prize this week. Well above-median difficulty: on first scan of the clues I seriously doubted being able to finish.
Heavily themed, I think there are at least two sub-themes which pleasingly intermingle. Giving no secrets away to hint that literature is involved (just read through a few clues)... :-)
Quite a few solutions were unknown to me and not straightforward to parse, which made the puzzle particularly difficult. One major thematic clue has a familiar answer, which was a write-in but required Google research to parse!
FOI 13d, LOI 4.
COD 9a for sentimental value (sub-thematic), narrowly edging 4.
I expect this Prize to generate an active discussion, hope other forum members enjoy it as much as I did.
2 of 89  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th September 2021, 01:56
Count me in as a Philistine: I was able to confidently construct several names from wordplay, but Google was required for confirmation! I mistakenly thought one of the thematic solutions was a football hero...😳
3 of 89  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th September 2021, 02:00
Hi Geeker,

So it wasn't just me then. I think I know the clue you needed to Google in order to get the parsing.

Unforgivably I forgot to mention 9a - shame on me πŸ₯΅

I think this puzzle is going to prompt a lively blog:-)
4 of 89  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th September 2021, 02:11
Brendan, I expect that particular clue to be the subject of many queries. But it'll be tough to avoid spoilers.
5 of 89  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th September 2021, 02:31
I think I finally understand 8d πŸ˜€
6 of 89  -   Report This Post

mystogre

11th September 2021, 02:42
Hi all,
Yes there were two of them Brendan.
My problem is 4d - quite devoid of ideas. Rest done but it was harder than I expected.
The sub-sub theme has three entries!
7 of 89  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th September 2021, 02:48
Hi Mystogre,

4d - Is deceptively simple, although I set about chasing several wild geese before realising it's "author" as a verb.
8 of 89  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th September 2021, 02:48
mystogre (being vague to avoid spoilers) 4 was my LOI because the answer is a different "part of speech" from what I had assumed! I kicked myself when the penny dropped.
9 of 89  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th September 2021, 02:50
Brendan,
Yes, 8 is extremely clever and I should have considered it more seriously for COD!
10 of 89  -   Report This Post