CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paradigmshifter

4th September 2021, 15:49
My clue of the day was 5D I think, good misdirection.
41 of 81  -   Report This Post

philo

4th September 2021, 17:14
Hello all
Enjoyable romp today, but can anyone help with parsing 1d?
42 of 81  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th September 2021, 17:19
"Pants" means "not very good", around a "bigwig" (a bit loose).
43 of 81  -   Report This Post

philo

4th September 2021, 17:33
Thanks Chris. I should have had that.
44 of 81  -   Report This Post

rossim

4th September 2021, 17:35
I enjoyed this one. I got off to a flying start 4a FOI followed by 5d not being caught out by the misdirection for a change.
1d was a bit loose in the synonym for bigwig IMO and 24a was too convoluted for me.
Too many good clues though to pick a COD.
22a didn't give me any trouble as I'm off to those beautiful islands next month, covid permitting.
45 of 81  -   Report This Post

crypticsilver

4th September 2021, 17:37
This was a pleasant change from last week's challenge. At present I have four left to solve, all in the NW corner. Hoping I'll have a lightbulb moment when I return to it. Favourite clues so far 24 and 7
46 of 81  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th September 2021, 17:41
Have a great time, rossim. We haven't heard from you much recently?
We stayed on St Mary's (at the Castle Hotel), but visited several other islands. Bryher was just about our favourite, though the gardens on ?????? were well worth a visit.
47 of 81  -   Report This Post

roof

4th September 2021, 17:50
I had a splendid holiday in the Scillies a few year's back (ten?). I wonder if the community bus is still running on St Mary's. St Martins was my favourite island with a bakery and an excellent cafe and my introduction to Echiums. I wonder if it is still there?

I nearly didn't get the right island as there are so many anagrams of corset, though most of the islands are not in the UK.

I, too got off to a flying start and have done most of the top half, but the bottom half is largely empty. My FOI was 9ac and my COD is 7d so far. But now I'm getting stuck and have some chores to do, so would appreciate some hints What about 17ac and 16d to start.
48 of 81  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th September 2021, 17:57
Hi Roof,

17a - 5 letter "teacher" inside 4 letter "support" - definition is "legal" as in 'a legal requirement'.

16d - If you split this 3,4 as "vehicle conks out" (I'd ignore the "where" as it might only confuse) definition is "clothing".

I had to look up echiums - every day's a school day 😀
49 of 81  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

4th September 2021, 18:03
You didn't have to look up terpsichorean???
50 of 81  -   Report This Post