CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ripple

1st September 2021, 14:10
I'm a newbie and have joined to say thanks for the tips of which two were really useful....
The starting point of the perimeter....
The fact that only ONE normal solution had to be split.
I managed to solve most of the clues then used Google for others.This in my opinion is cheating but having spent 8 hours or more on it I refused to accept defeat and finally finished at 2 am. Brilliant! Zzzz

211 of 221  -   Report This Post

dhope

1st September 2021, 15:50
First post for me ,to say thanks for all the help you have given me with this marathon plus many other puzzles over the years. Finally completed at 22.30 hours on 31st . Brilliant ,nearly up to the master Araucaria’s standard.
212 of 221  -   Report This Post

rocketman

2nd September 2021, 08:05
I would like to add my congratulations on a truly outstanding puzzle by Maskerade. I didn't believe it was within my capabilities for a long time
and I could see why many people were initially frustrated! To embellish the finished result with the theme on the perimeter truly echoed the efforts of the Master, Araucaria. So, well done, Maskerade!
213 of 221  -   Report This Post

luko

2nd September 2021, 09:14
I share the common view that this was an exceptionally good puzzle, so many thanks to Maskerade. You might like to know that a letter published in the Guardian on Tuesday said this as well.
What hasn't been said is many congratulations to all those who persevered and completed it! Whether you used Wikipedia, anagram solvers, help from this forum or other aids, getting to the end is a substantial achievement - well done to all!
(And as somebody said, let's hope for something similar at Christmas!)
214 of 221  -   Report This Post

sam

2nd September 2021, 15:27
Last word? The instruction under the grid should have read TOP right-hand square - not bottom. This is the correct order of the theme.
215 of 221  -   Report This Post

jws

2nd September 2021, 15:43
Re! That were ell caught

Outside edge

216 of 221  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd September 2021, 16:03
I don’t think the preamble is inaccurate per se and I suspect it’s intended to be a little deceptive ;-) There’s no suggestion that the four parts should be in order around the perimeter and it’s the two three letter words that really help anchor the sequence.
217 of 221  -   Report This Post

abz

3rd September 2021, 11:20
Do I win a prize for being the last to finish this? An excellent puzzle and while I may have been slow I just entered one word in the wrong place. Thanks for all the hints on the forum.
218 of 221  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

4th September 2021, 10:25
Last word on this - having given up on the grid when I had a word starting with ee, I wish I'd had the courage of my convictions! Turns out from looking at the solution that I was on the right track after all. And could kick myself re the donkey, sigh. Note to self - keep going.... and have only just now figured out what everyone meant about the two three-letter words. Anyway, off to try Paul.
219 of 221  -   Report This Post

lunaticfridge

4th September 2021, 12:03
This could not have been more of a contrast to last week. Very straightforward, I thought. FOI 1ac. LOI 23. COD 10 - but I do like an anagram! And 22 is in the Scilly Isles - my trip there being the only time I have been on a helicopter. Lovely place
220 of 221  -   Report This Post