CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

21st November 2022, 15:46
Malone
It was good of you to remind me recently that I should visit the market café for breakfast. I arrived there about noon on Saturday, and after all the previous problems with multi-item breakfasts and poached eggs, I decided to order something simple.
“An All-Day breakfast please”.
“You’re too late,” replied Cassie the waitress, in her usual unhelpful manner, “Breakfast finishes at 11 o’clock. You’ll have to have lunch.”
“But surely All-day means you serve it all day, at least while you are open.”
“No, an All-Day breakfast is a set breakfast with no swaps.”
A glance at the lunch menu revealed that brunch was available.
“What is included in the brunch please?” I asked.
“Sausage, bacon, egg, beans, tomato, black pudding and chips”, she replied.
“In that case, I will have a brunch without chips”, I said.
“I don’t know if that’s allowed, but I suppose it must be”, she grumbled.
It was an excellent breakfast.
511 of 862  -   Report This Post

tyke51

21st November 2022, 16:27
You're slipping Jigjag - the breakfast was eggcellent !
512 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

21st November 2022, 17:04
Tyke
Thanks, eggscellent indeed and England too! Enjoying it so far but not sure if I can manage 3 matches a day for too long.
513 of 862  -   Report This Post

tyke51

21st November 2022, 17:44
Jigjag
I've been in a training camp for 2 weeks so should be able to cope !
Just said to my mate we've got good attacking players so let them play! Great start 👍
514 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

21st November 2022, 19:44
Jigjag, lovely to hear you were back at the market cafe. Your original choice, the All Day Breakfast, sounds a good one. That would save all the hassle of choosing four,five or six items, or dealing with the complicated swaps...'you can have beans instead of a hash brown but not for a sausage, though you can swap the sausage for an extra bit of bacon...'
I'd have been tempted to give Cassie a lesson in the meaning of words - 'All Day' really can't mean 'Up until 11 am'. I admire your tact, something I have simply don't possess. I also admire your quick thinking, choosing the 'brinch' option. I'm glad you managed to get the combination you wanted - I'm sure you have enough on your plate without having chips too.

The cafes and coffee shops in my area seem to have been taken over by aliens. As well as the latte, skinny latte, soy cappuccino (and other styles of coffee) there's a bizarre selection of ingredients on offer. I'm afraid I can't remember the exact details, but the coffees seem to include things such as caramel waffle, spiced pumpkin, peppermint chocolate (or maybe peppermint and chocolate?) and iced toffee nut.

515 of 862  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

21st November 2022, 21:10
Re the football with tyke and jigjag

The commentators always risk being shot down by pedants. I did enjoy the 'vociferous' tackle in today's England match on BBC1.
516 of 862  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

21st November 2022, 21:11
Re the football with tyke and jigjag

The commentators always risk being shot down by pedants. I did enjoy the 'vociferous' tackle in today's England match on BBC1.
517 of 862  -   Report This Post

tyke51

21st November 2022, 22:06
Paulh
I watched the England game with no sound - the commentators and pundits drive me nuts!

A dragon roared (do dragons roar?) - sounds like an old Ealing Studios comedy - well done Wales!
518 of 862  -   Report This Post

orson

22nd November 2022, 12:30
I pronounce latte so that that the lat rhymes with bat. But I seem to be in a minority as when I'm in the sort of cafe where you have to queue, other people and those serving talk about lar-tays. Collins gives my pronunciation but Chambers and the OED give both.

As for the Welsh game, I got tired of being told how proud and passionate they are. I'm sure that is so and good luck to them (I'm English) but it can become patronizing. It's like when a small nation is mentioned, they're nearly always described as a proud people. Show me a nation that isn't proud (excluding Britain).
519 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

22nd November 2022, 12:49
Malone
I liked your "enough on your plate" joke. I dont know where they would have put the chips, possibly on a separate plate.
I avoid the sort of coffee shops you mention. I would never order those exotic items. I think pumpkins should be reserved for carving at Halloween. I like caramel and waffles but not together. I bet the prices are high for that stuff. The coffee costs 80p a cup in the market, which seems reasonable.
520 of 862  -   Report This Post