CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jack aubrey

11th May 2021, 07:44
I agree, Brendan. In Chambers that is the second definition of “to” in the adverbial form.
81 of 102  -   Report This Post

crates

11th May 2021, 08:25
Evokes memories of my grandparents - instructions were 'open the door' or 'push the door to' - Don't think I've heard it since...
82 of 102  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

11th May 2021, 18:15
Me too, crates. Were your grandparents Welsh? Mine were and I’ve never heard the word used in that way since.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. What is going on with the final bit of the endgame? No spoilers please, but a hint would be very nice, thank you.
83 of 102  -   Report This Post

williamseal

11th May 2021, 18:59
"To" does a lot of work in Wales: as in 'where to's Cardiff Arms Park?'

Still struggling to complete despite copious hints. I now have three new P..s from the across clues and identified three in the solutions 15, 27 and 36 (not giving it away as these have already been listed). I'm assuming that some sort of replacement is the next step but the words are of different lengths.

The Premier division have clearly all finished so yet another hint to us in the Vanarama League would be welcome.
84 of 102  -   Report This Post

barretter

11th May 2021, 19:11
There are two more p.....s in the down answers and two of the ones you have found from the across clues replace them.
85 of 102  -   Report This Post

tatters

11th May 2021, 19:11
You could try a straight swap between 15 and 36

The treatment of the extra words in the across clues result in three words of lengths 7,8 and 5 letters and these have to be substituted in the grid replacing entries of matching lengths [each in the lower half of the grid - 2 downs and 1 across]

86 of 102  -   Report This Post

williamseal

11th May 2021, 20:53
Thanks barretter and tatters
I’ll battle on and am grateful
87 of 102  -   Report This Post

pootle

11th May 2021, 21:19
I’ll add my agreement to lumen’s suggestion that the preamble was misleading, and as a Listener solver of less than a year I find it often to be the case. Maybe you get used to them after a time.
Anyhow, once I’d taken on board the helpful hints from the folks here I was able to complete a very nice endgame. My thanks to Charybdis and the hinters.
88 of 102  -   Report This Post

rad

11th May 2021, 23:53
I don’t think anyone has mentioned that the extra words in the across clues are still real words after treatment. This strikes me as an astonishing feat on the part of the setter, but also rather pointless?

I agree that it is a brilliant puzzle, though the preamble could have been more helpfully worded. Thanks to all for the helpful and interesting comments.
89 of 102  -   Report This Post

crates

12th May 2021, 13:09
cloverjo - granmother's father was Welsh...
90 of 102  -   Report This Post