CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

loge

8th May 2021, 09:14
Yes it did, CD. We're talking about the cell at Row 10 Column 6, I assume? It didn't worry me particularly as I could see it was going to be resolved at the final stage. I did wonder if we've all fallen for a red herring but given how neatly it works out, I don't think so.

I could be wrong of course. That has been known!
21 of 102  -   Report This Post

rickye

8th May 2021, 09:16
So far so good. I have an answer for 23D which I’m not really understanding. My initials in the extra down clues give two words and then I’m not sure about a third, if there is one - O L N T might be extras. I have the quotation and a full grid but not making the final link yet.
22 of 102  -   Report This Post

candledave

8th May 2021, 09:18
Loge - same.

It must be right.

I’m assuming all steps are meant to be done simultaneously.
23 of 102  -   Report This Post

loge

8th May 2021, 09:20
Ricky, in 23 crash is the definition in the sense of go to sleep. No need to spend time looking for a third word from the downs.
24 of 102  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

8th May 2021, 09:21
CD, Loge. First phase we changed 3 of the themes, then second phase exchanged 2. One of which involved the quantum theorist. That’s the bit which clears up the words in brackets...........hope we’re not wrong.
25 of 102  -   Report This Post

rickye

8th May 2021, 09:22
Thanks
26 of 102  -   Report This Post

loge

8th May 2021, 09:23
I did them simultaneously too CD - I didn't find the shortest of the three examples to change until after I'd completed everything else. That's probably why the valid point you raise didn't really worry me at the time.
27 of 102  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

8th May 2021, 09:24
Loge/CD

That's the letter.

Making it an 'E' - makes non-words and 36'ing the two long words doesn't resolve it.

Doing the actions in the other order does.

So I'm misinterpreting the second step requirement, or there's another place for the five-letter thematic.
28 of 102  -   Report This Post

loge

8th May 2021, 09:27
Agreed Simon. I went about it rather haphazardly but the end result is the same, and your last sentence chimes perfectly with my own interpretation of the words in brackets.
29 of 102  -   Report This Post

candledave

8th May 2021, 09:28
Hw7 - doing the steps in the other order creates a similar issue with that letter as then the short thematic is no longer a word.

Either it is all meant to be done at the same time or there is another 5 letter thematic in the grid.....but there isn’t one in Chambers as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I enjoyed the puzzle and this must be the solution so will leave it there and crack on with looking after two little ones in the pouring rain!
30 of 102  -   Report This Post