CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

murky

9th May 2021, 16:04
My third sentence was a little loosely phrased. I was trying to avoid being over-explicit. If I've misled, then apologies. Obviously it was a mistake to post anything.
61 of 102  -   Report This Post

will37

9th May 2021, 16:13
Thank you, jif73, I had realised that the two-word phrase is a thematic example and - just guessing - I expect I'll find that the words are to be regarded more literally here than they would be by the likes of Leibniz or Bertrand Russell.
62 of 102  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

9th May 2021, 16:19
Dsc @ 60. I don’t have the crossword with me but if memory serves, when your substitutions make 36 look like a non-word hold your nerve and complete the final stage.

For anyone mildly troubled by temporary non-words, I commend today’s EV (1468) 43 “misprints” and a final transform with real words all the way. A chef d’oeuvre from proXimal. And very “satisfying”!
63 of 102  -   Report This Post

krauton

9th May 2021, 17:40
I found the first part of the end game of this was confusing because I was
trying to apply the instruction given by the initial letters of the extra words in the down clues to the words of the partial quote given by the inital letters in the extra words in across clues rather than to the extra words in the across clues themselves.
64 of 102  -   Report This Post

will37

9th May 2021, 20:20
My goodness, when the penny finally drops it does so with an enormous clatter! What an enjoyable puzzle. Thanks to Murky and jif73 for your encouragement.
65 of 102  -   Report This Post

specsaver

9th May 2021, 22:10
Got there in the end. Many thanks for the hints, broad and narrow. It was the implementation of the final instructions that baffled me for far too long: my advice is to not overthink it...
66 of 102  -   Report This Post

williamseal

10th May 2021, 05:54
Greetings from a very wet sandbank. Please forgive me for overlooking previous posts this stage. I'm off to a good start; I have the quote and complete grid. I'd like to see if I can continue for while, so one request for a little help from my friends.

On the down extra words. I have two words ending with the last word of 22 but am then stuck. Is there a third word to come?. Possibly an L from 29 and a T from 35? I'd really appreciate a nudge on this and will then persevere. Many thanks
67 of 102  -   Report This Post

loge

10th May 2021, 06:54
There is no third word, WS. I also considered an L from 29 but the word in question is (I think) an indicator of an old usage.
68 of 102  -   Report This Post

williamseal

10th May 2021, 07:51
Thanks Loge

I'll carry on, with the big advantage that when I can stuck I can now go to the start of this thread. I too am an early riser so will now go out to catch some mackerel. Norfolk very, very damp
69 of 102  -   Report This Post

kt17

10th May 2021, 11:42
Got there at last - with a lot of help from this thread.

What a satisfying puzzle! Thank you Charybdis!
70 of 102  -   Report This Post