CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

noeyedeer

24th April 2021, 19:56
Finished with the help of the kids! Actually quite enjoyable family affair in the end. Thanks to this forum as ever. Happy Saturdays all
51 of 68  -   Report This Post

roof

24th April 2021, 20:10
Hi everyone

I regret to say that I'm very much stuck on the south east corner. I haven't got the american comic hero. I've rubbed out Chaplin. I've now got the word no-one's heard of for 19ac. I'm not entirely sure about my answer to 24 ac and cannot get 21d. I'd hoped it would be topple, but not with my crossers. 27ac defeats me as does 18d. Any hints for any of these will be gratefull received.
52 of 68  -   Report This Post

jono

24th April 2021, 20:13
Femmenoire @34, you may be right regarding the generational thing, I have fond memories of that era of that sport. Did you know Tramp took his name from the band Supertramp? He’s also just said this crossword was written back in 2015 when his wife found something odd in some ‘Aldi bananas’ (ref 6,8) ;)
53 of 68  -   Report This Post

jono

24th April 2021, 20:18
Hi Roof,
In 17a ‘ordinary’ is a one letter abbreviation, and as it happens the answer is another Guardian setter. Defn ‘one rowing’
54 of 68  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

24th April 2021, 20:51
Jono @53 goodness me Tramp’s wife found one?! Thanks for that interesting nugget. No wonder he had to get it into a crossword and with Aldi in the clue - that is quite something! No I didn’t know about Tramp being from the band Supertramp. You are a fount of knowledge!

55 of 68  -   Report This Post

roof

24th April 2021, 20:53
Hi everyone

I think I've finished. I'm not sure how my answer to 21d parses, but I think it is right. I got the others fairly quickly when I put my mind to it and drank some wine.

Thank you to all of you who helped. Tramp is not my favourite setter, but at least I've finished before Montelbano.

But where is Brendan? And I'm sorry Chrise didn't say. Yes, 6,8 down was a horrid anagram of a creature I'd never heard of and I managed to work it out by guesswork and then confirm through google.

I look forward to next week. Will it be a special for the bank holiday? I hope not as I have a lot to do.
56 of 68  -   Report This Post

roof

24th April 2021, 20:55
I meant to say I'm sorry Chrise didn't stay!
57 of 68  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

24th April 2021, 21:04
Roof re 17a you are sure to have heard of this 6 letter superhero -flying would be his superpower I guess, and his guise resembles a flying mammal.

24a means “get rid of” - from 2 letters for “old” plus 3 letters for “joke” and two letters for “for example” reversed. (I think the word example must have been omitted because it doesn’t completely make sense as it stands. )

21d’s definition is the last two words. Put three letters for “go” (as in attempt) around three letters for “tip”.

That should help with 27a and 18d hopefully. See how you get on!
58 of 68  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

24th April 2021, 21:08
Crossed posts there Roof. Glad you finished. And yes Chrise missed out there
59 of 68  -   Report This Post

anyotherbizniz

25th April 2021, 12:44
Big doh! for my PDM on 17D. Had the answer as the wrong instrumentalist (to Zappa and the Captain's fury) and just couldn't parse it. Not until I heard the strains of the Deliverance duel. Dear oh dear.

Nice crossword
60 of 68  -   Report This Post