CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

hywel

24th April 2021, 15:55
Hi prospero

Of course. Thanks

31 of 68  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th April 2021, 16:35
After the fact, I realized that I'd previously encountered some of the clues I found most difficult, at least as solutions (can't recall the wordplay). On those first exposures, I'd failed on the two long down answers (1 and 6, 8) but gotten 19 (my COD despite this). Count me in as enjoying 1, though some will find the solution too obscure. I disliked 6,8 on the first encounter and like it no better now.
32 of 68  -   Report This Post

noeyedeer

24th April 2021, 18:05
Gah! Really not on Tramp’s wavelength.... I’m assuming I have 4d wrong (though it works nicely in my head!) as it gives an “i” at the end of 11a which leaves me with only one option which I don’t understand. South and north east corners very sparse - a hint for the weird 6,8 and maybe 17a or 25a just as a way in would be wonderful, feeling dim!!
33 of 68  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

24th April 2021, 18:13
After a rocky start and nearly giving up, this one turned out to be rather enjoyable. Would have been impossible without the hints on this forum so thanks to all.

I wonder if it’s a generational thing or a matter of which sports you take an interest in, but for me 1d was a triumph of construction. Lovely!

6d yes very laboured clueing, but doable, and interesting to find out about the answer creature. Finding one as a stowaway, as is occasionally in the news , sounds like no fun.

9a deserves a mention - so neat and easier than it seemed at first.

I’m sure 2d came up recently in one of the Guardian weekend crosswords. Great construction
but hard to know the number of letters involved.

15d is another beautifully constructed one

19a is a new word to me - the crossword solver on this site was key to finding the answer. Still don’t understand where the first two letters come from though.

25a’s definition is nicely disguised in the clue. I was not familiar with the military term but got it anyway

Still struggling with 17a, 17d, 18d, so any hints would be appreciated.

All round a rather fine crossword and worth the effort I think.
34 of 68  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

24th April 2021, 18:17
You’re right, NoEyeDeer, 4d doesn’t end in i.
25a the definition is the last three words.
35 of 68  -   Report This Post

roof

24th April 2021, 18:30
Hi Femme noir

just joined the forum and lots still to do . North east corner finished but the rest is sparse.

4d may not end in i, but does 11ac end in i? My answer for 4d would imply it does.

I have an answer for 17ac, but can't parse it, so maybe it is wrong.

Hints for 19ac and 17d would be most welcome.
36 of 68  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

24th April 2021, 18:32
Managed to get the two 17s now and 18
37 of 68  -   Report This Post

roof

24th April 2021, 18:36
Well done

Is 1d a sportsman? I do so hate it when it includes famous sportsmen or women. I' m assuming he's a tennis player with all the tennis allusions.
38 of 68  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

24th April 2021, 18:37
Oh gosh yes sorry you’re right roof, there is an i at the end of 11a. Apologies to NOeyedeeer I read your post incorrectly or maybe the numbers in the grid - thought you were referring to the ends of 4d and 16a
39 of 68  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

24th April 2021, 18:39
Yes Roof. He has been retired for quite a few years
40 of 68  -   Report This Post