CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

3rd April 2021, 20:29
12 breaks down as 2,3,3 (or perhaps 2,3,1-2); "constant" + theme word + "nude" (the latter a funny abbrev of sorts).
61 of 107  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd April 2021, 20:30
Sorry, def. for 12 is "Setter".
62 of 107  -   Report This Post

luko

3rd April 2021, 23:05
Wow! That was fun. A couple of pointers from present company, but mostly my own work.
FOI before I got out of bed 7a, would have pointed me at the theme very efficiently if I'd got the anagram right, wasted a few minutes looking for more cats until I spotted a missing v and checked 7 again(!). Completed the southern half this morning (not as a plan, I just got those and couldn't see the northern ones), then a long break for other activity before returning this evening.
LOI 17a, unusually weak I think (surely both c and v give valid if unusual names?)
COD 12a just gets it over 51a but many other contenders.

Quick note on the parsing of 48a: I don't think anyone's mentioned the hold in the clue which was a big pointer to me (although I'm even less interested in wrestling than cricket!)

Thanks a lot Maskarade, a great puzzle -not up to the best of Araucaria's holiday specials (what could be?) but well deserving comparison.
And of course thanks to all here for the hints and the company. Happy Easter to all, keep safe.
63 of 107  -   Report This Post

roof

3rd April 2021, 23:51
Hi everyone

I'm back again, but made little progress. Montalbano was long and enjoyable, then the cat needed attention. I have got all three theme words now, but lots more to get and not much time.

Perhaps I could have a few hints for:
37d (3,7) I have ??? ?E?????
51ac (6,6) for which I have no letters
22ac (3,8) another one with no letters

My answers are mainly in north west corner, so I need to open up the others
64 of 107  -   Report This Post

roof

4th April 2021, 00:36
I've been back through the Forum thread and got quite a lot more including 51ac and I've added some letters to 37d and 22ac. But must go to bed now and hope to get more tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help so far
65 of 107  -   Report This Post

luko

4th April 2021, 01:39
Hi roof
37d is an anagram of a foreign phrase, I think I know it from Rumpole
22a is a five letter 'messy stuff' around a theme word and an anagram ('polluted') of 'air', definition is a specific type of army mount
Have a good night!
66 of 107  -   Report This Post

abicoop

4th April 2021, 07:53
Happy Easter!!

Making good progress with this, and one side is pretty much done but I can't get 33a, so could I get a hint for that one please?
Thanks!
67 of 107  -   Report This Post

jono

4th April 2021, 08:03
Hi Abi,
Happy Easter!
33a is a type of rum. The answer contains a theme word inside half of an 8 letter word for playful talk
68 of 107  -   Report This Post

abicoop

4th April 2021, 08:06
Thanks! Should have got that. I was trying to put a theme word at the start. Doh!
69 of 107  -   Report This Post

mrsh

4th April 2021, 09:55
Hi everyone

I just have 41a left a?t t?a? Totally stuck so any help welcome!
70 of 107  -   Report This Post