CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

20th March 2021, 23:39
Hi Jwdd27,

It's been good to read all the different opinions regarding this puzzle. It seems some really enjoyed it while others, not quite so much. Still, that's one of things that makes cryptic crosswords so appealing:-)
71 of 78  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st March 2021, 15:02
Hi Rossim,

I've only just now noticed your post @41

Only in a cryptic crossword can someone say that sentence and no-one bats an eyelid:-)
72 of 78  -   Report This Post

rossim

21st March 2021, 16:57
I'm pleased it amused you, Brendan!
73 of 78  -   Report This Post

hmmm

21st March 2021, 17:02
Could you help me parse 27 ac ? Know the answer but can’t work out where the middle three letters come from.
Thanks
74 of 78  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st March 2021, 17:10
Hi Hmmm,

27a - I had exactly the same problem but, thankfully, Geeker parsed it for me.

First letter "about" (Latin abbr.) + A (from the clue) + 4 letter synonym of "fair" + 3 letter "breeze" reversed/"easterly".
75 of 78  -   Report This Post

grum

22nd March 2021, 08:09
As someone else said, I spent ages staring at a blank grid, then finally the first few came to me (FOI 10a), and then the last three- quarters came in a rush.

On the issue of paramilitaries, I would have thought 'para' is from the Greek, so - ' alongside the military', which is an accurate description of this particular body ( along with its twin arm, which unfortunately now shares its name with a self-help group for those struggling with a particular addiction) - instituted by that guy to be independent of the other armed forces, in order to do his muscular dirty work, without fear of interference from any squeamish general.

Presumably the term ' paratrooper' is similar- the para bit not specifically referring to air, but the idea that these guys would fight alongside more conventional troops?
76 of 78  -   Report This Post

grum

22nd March 2021, 08:32
Just realised the last part of my post was rubbish. Paratroopers are obviously so-called because of their parachutes. Duh!
77 of 78  -   Report This Post

rossim

30th April 2021, 13:30
Not your comment Grum.
Norah has removed the spam.

Edit - I’ve now also removed REPORTED to save further confusion - Norah
78 of 78  -   Report This Post