CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pca

20th March 2021, 07:13
Thank you.
21 of 78  -   Report This Post

rocky7

20th March 2021, 07:17
Half way through this and would never have picked up on the theme had I not come here. More intriguing to me as someone who never read them is why they are not now considered particularly suitable in some fields. But no spoilers on here!
22 of 78  -   Report This Post

dismantledking68

20th March 2021, 08:33
Found this a bit easier to get going than in previous weeks but still a long way to go. Is the fruit in 22a a type of berry?
23 of 78  -   Report This Post

jono

20th March 2021, 08:37
Generally enjoyable but nothing stood out for me. Last week we had ‘instead’ this week ‘indeed’. I’m another with no knowledge of this theme and for a while thought 10a was the theme. Twigged at the end and looked it up. Was intrigued to read as to why now considered controversial (which is covered in detail on the wiki page).
24 of 78  -   Report This Post

jono

20th March 2021, 08:39
@dismantledking no not a berry. I’m sure you’ll get it though, it’s not obscure
25 of 78  -   Report This Post

abicoop

20th March 2021, 08:50
Morning all,
Done and dusted with one cup of coffee this morning, but guess I'm still a long way off having my Covid jab! I kept hoping it would get harder and that I'd just happened to get the easy ones, but never mind.
I totally missed the theme and wouldn't have spotted it even once finished if it wasn't for the people talking about it on here.
First in was 10a, last 14a. COD, I dunno. I've just re-read through them and they are all a bit boring. Nothing wrong with them but nothing particular clever or stand-out misleading.
Happy to help anyone finding it tough, I know we all have weeks we can't get on the right wavelength.
26 of 78  -   Report This Post

justsolve

20th March 2021, 10:11
Hmmm...having spotted the theme early on ( there was an 80s band called "The 20,10" & I remembered where they got their name!), & being familiar with the books I enjoyed this & found it reasonably straightforward.However I cannot for the life of me parse 8,26 or relate it to 23 in any way! I assume I have the correct answer as it fits with the crossers and meets the def... Can anyone enlighten me without giving any spoilers please?
27 of 78  -   Report This Post

jono

20th March 2021, 10:14
Just solve, for gong think award. 23 comprises two ...?
28 of 78  -   Report This Post

chrise

20th March 2021, 11:16
I was stuck in the SE until I read about the theme (which I hadn't seen, of course), then it was all straightforward.
I never read the books (weren't they in French?), but I do remember the TV programmes.
Favourite 14a - very neat!
29 of 78  -   Report This Post

justsolve

20th March 2021, 11:31
Thanks Jono, so clear now - as usual I was over-thinking it and got completely red-herringed! Thoroughly enjoyed this today, many thanks to Philistine for a Saturday treat.
30 of 78  -   Report This Post