CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

13th March 2021, 22:27
Hugh Ross Williamson in "Historical Enigmas" and Josephine Tey in "The daughter of time " (both great books) argue that the princes were killed by Henry VII, who had good reason to get rid of them, whereas Richard III had no reason to.
The two pretenders were quite different. Lambert Simnel was a joke, but this one was probably a cousin of who he claimed to be.
61 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th March 2021, 22:34
Thanks Chris,

I find the Tudor/Plantagenet period of our history most fascinating and even enjoy the partly fictional stories. I'm half way through Bring Up the Bodies, the second book in Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall trilogy, and it is excellent:-)
62 of 87  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th March 2021, 22:44
I haven't tried that, Brendan. I read a biography of Thomas Cromwell, and it so differed from the person depicted in "Wolf Hall" that I haven't been moved to follow it up.
The C J Sansom "Matthew Shardlake" novels are fascinating, though. The one set in York is very much based on Henry VIII trying to suppress rumours that Edward IV was illegitimate, so the marriage of Henry's father to Elizabeth of York did nothing to legitimise his very dubious claim to the throne.
63 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th March 2021, 22:50
Snap!

I've read all the Shardlake series and have just got the audiobook -Thomas Cromwell: A life by Diarmaid MacCulloch's although, as I'm still reading Bring Up the Bodies, I've yet to start it.
64 of 87  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th March 2021, 22:52
I was at college with Diarmaid MacCullough! A couple of years younger, though, so I only knew him to say hello.
65 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th March 2021, 23:00
Ah! Small world.

Is it his biography of TC that you've read?

I haven't watched The Tudors but a friend of mine who has says the depiction of TC in that show varies wildly with how he's portrayed in Wolf Hall.

Also, in the Shardlake series, Richard Rich seems a much more malevolent character than he does in Wolf Hall.
66 of 87  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th March 2021, 23:03
I'll have to check, but I suspect not, or I would have remembered.
TC features as the Earl of Essex in Shardlake, but Sansom takes a liberty or two with time lines.
67 of 87  -   Report This Post

tonystock

14th March 2021, 08:36
An absolutely great Crossword and a welcome relief to some of the mid week ones. I love it when you learn new words and phrases after working out the answer logically. I only got started after the kind hints provided in the forum otherwise would still be looking at a blank canvass. I think 1a was my favourite....never heard of Shrewsbury Dick even though I live in York so had to look up. Most enjoyable and now ready to relax in to the Everyman. Thanks to all for the hints , Tony :-)
68 of 87  -   Report This Post

aicram

14th March 2021, 09:55
Thanks for all the advice which has really helped me to do 3/4 of the puzzle, but very stuck on the SE corner. Any help welcome.
69 of 87  -   Report This Post

simonh

14th March 2021, 10:06
27a is a typical Paul clue - with the 1st word of the clue being the definition.
70 of 87  -   Report This Post