CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

7th March 2021, 18:22
Thanks Nelson, it's reassuring to know I wasn't alone.
21 of 37  -   Report This Post

quisling

7th March 2021, 18:56
I may of course be wrong about the umlaut, and I didn’t intend to sound so dogmatic in #15. It just made sense to me as a way of justifying the absence of the diacritic in the German spelling, and seemed justified by Chambers, as Malone said, so being lazy I stopped looking for anything else!
22 of 37  -   Report This Post

malone

7th March 2021, 19:03
Quisling, I am sure you (and I and probably many other solvers!) were correct about the umlaut. Chambers has 'sign' in its definition, and Collins has 'mark' , so the preamble seemed reasonably fair to me. 'Diacritical mark' or 'accent' would have been too explicit, preambles are often a little sneaky.
23 of 37  -   Report This Post

quisling

7th March 2021, 19:13
Thanks Malone, that’s a very good point about how the preamble needed to be worded to be fair without being too explicit.
24 of 37  -   Report This Post

malone

7th March 2021, 19:49
Thanks, Quisling. I think there's definitely more leeway in preambles than clues -so long as we don't encounter anything inherently unfair or wrong. I probably wouldn't have accepted sign= umlaut as a clue, but it wasn't one!
25 of 37  -   Report This Post

nelson

7th March 2021, 19:53
quisling.

I wasn't in any way being critical of you. (Or even diacritical.)
26 of 37  -   Report This Post

malone

7th March 2021, 19:58
Nelson, I quite enjoyed your point - about the 'sign' - and it was good to hear what others think.
27 of 37  -   Report This Post

loge

7th March 2021, 21:03
I agree with Quisling that the sign is the umlaut, but I think I’d have preferred “diacritic” or “accent” (even though the latter is not quite linguistically accurate) in the preamble. Perhaps that would have been too much of a giveaway? It’s a trivial point anyway and doesn’t distract from this lovely puzzle. The thing I love about Vismut’s puzzles is that I always learn something new.
28 of 37  -   Report This Post

nelson

7th March 2021, 22:53
Hi loge

Yes it is a trivial point - as I more or less said when I made that post. It was just something to float for conversation. And yes, it was indeed a lovely puzzle, neither too easy or too hard. Just right.

I'd heard of the 'confessor' and spotted the name of the ( how shall I say this without it being a spoiler? I'm going for 'genuine').

Without that I wouldn't have been able to make any sense of the slightly oddly phrased statement made by the surplus letters. But forming this statement as an anagram of the description was pure genius.
29 of 37  -   Report This Post

quisling

7th March 2021, 23:06
Nelson, I enjoyed your post and certainly didn’t take it as a criticism. I agree, too, that Vismut’s puzzles are top-notch, and I appreciate the good humour on the IQ threads.

Loge, thanks. I’m relaxed about wording in preambles because I get the understandable reluctance to give too much away about the puzzle’s theme. You only have to look at the discussion caused by the apparently innocuous phrase “four distinct thematic colours” in Eck’s wonderful Magpie Prize puzzle last month to see how easily setters can get into trouble. It certainly helps my blood pressure that I never submit!
30 of 37  -   Report This Post