CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aslac

9th March 2021, 14:10
I have an annoying last clue to complete this- having found the theme and the names etc- if anyone is still following the thread.. help please.
30d Lottery, Ruth's last entry disappearing suspiciously in palm ( 6)
The 'h' is superfluous in Ruth. TR?I/E?Y. For the sake of completion thanks.
31 of 37  -   Report This Post

quisling

9th March 2021, 14:23
I don't have the puzzle to hand any more, but was it TROELY? It's the bussu palm, and an anagram of LOTTERY without one T (last letter of Rut(h). I believe it crossed with ISSEIS in the middle
32 of 37  -   Report This Post

aslac

9th March 2021, 14:52
Thanks Quisling. Yes that works perfectly. All done.
33 of 37  -   Report This Post

notnil

10th March 2021, 19:30
I thought this was a wonderfully constructed puzzle, not just the dynamic grid but the clues cleverly concealing the surprising anagram.
I logged on to see if anyone had the same outstanding query as me. Apparently not, so it will probably be kick myself answer.
How to parse 14a: 'Scoffed recipe celebrity chef reviewed.'?
34 of 37  -   Report This Post

malone

10th March 2021, 19:40
Notnil, the 'recipe' is the slightly unusual 1-letter abbreviation (though it pops up a lot!) and the celebrity chef is 'reviewed', read.... It's definitely not a contemporary chef, but more a national treasure at one time.
35 of 37  -   Report This Post

notnil

10th March 2021, 19:43
Thanks, Malone. Yes I'm kicking myself.
36 of 37  -   Report This Post

malone

10th March 2021, 20:07
Notril, glad I could help. And yes, this was an excellent puzzle - excellent on so many levels.
37 of 37  -   Report This Post