CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

7th March 2021, 14:52
Nelson I have 16 letters - in 16 cells - for my highlighting.

It's the victim, another supporter, who appears....
11 of 37  -   Report This Post

nelson

7th March 2021, 15:20
Many thanks malone. I have one victim, in the lower part of col 8. Is there another one in the grid.

And I have highlighted 16 cells, which only use nine different letters - if you see what i mean?
12 of 37  -   Report This Post

malone

7th March 2021, 15:27
Nelson, that sounds as if you have exactly the same as me - so I'm hoping it's correct!

No, you have the necessary victim - 'another' was just for the supporter part. I must have misunderstood the 16 cells/16 letters part of your query - 16 letters ARE highlighted, it doesn't say 16 different letters.
13 of 37  -   Report This Post

nelson

7th March 2021, 15:39
(Yes, I didn't explain the cells/letters thing very clearly in my first post).
So, is the preamble implying that the confessor was a supporter of 6?
Also, I still don't get 'minus a sign'.

14 of 37  -   Report This Post

quisling

7th March 2021, 15:56
The sign is an umlaut. The normal English version would have an additional “e”. I’ve seen the confessor described as a “sympathiser”, so I imagine that’s why “another” was used in the last sentence of the preamble.
15 of 37  -   Report This Post

nelson

7th March 2021, 16:54
Many thanks quisling.

I wouldn't decribe an umlaut as a sign, but there you go. Glad you've cleared that up for me.

A very enjoyable 'goldilocks' of a puzzle I thought.
16 of 37  -   Report This Post

malone

7th March 2021, 16:59
Nelson, glad that's all sorted for you. Chambers describes an umlaut as a sign, a diacritical sign, so it seems fine.
17 of 37  -   Report This Post

nelson

7th March 2021, 17:43
hi malone. I know I am splitting hairs, but Chambers descibes it as a 'diacritical sign'.

If asked, I would have described it as a diacrical mark.

'Sign' made me think of a symbol. So I was looking for 6's notorious one.

As I said, splitting hairs. But only for the craic.
18 of 37  -   Report This Post

brendan

7th March 2021, 18:11
Well then, I guess I'm the only one who first thought the sign was "leo" and then spent the next 10 minutes searching Google for a Nazi called S Mei........ 🥵 ...... and amazingly there was one!
19 of 37  -   Report This Post

nelson

7th March 2021, 18:17
brendan - leo also crossed my mind, but I couldn't think of any connection. I also looked in the grid for a banker that was involved in the theme. I think having these mad forays into vague possibilities are part of the fun.
20 of 37  -   Report This Post