CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pulmunen

6th March 2021, 08:20
Excellent, thanks to Picaroon!

Also a bit confused by the wordplay in 4a, but the sheer number of delightful clues makes up for it: 10a, 11a, 21a, 23a, 26a, 2a,8d, but for COD I’m going for 25a because it caught me out fair and square dismissing a possible way of solving it on first reading.

FOI 9a, but only after I’d read all the clues once. Solved in 3 little bursts.

Definitely one to enjoy.
11 of 84  -   Report This Post

abicoop

6th March 2021, 08:26
Morning!
I agree about 4a, strange. Can't figure out anything else it could be other than a mistake.
Haven't finished yet. Which is good as it gives me something to keep popping back to though the day, but enjoying the variety of clues so far. Doesn't seem to be a theme unless I've totally missed it!
12 of 84  -   Report This Post

jono

6th March 2021, 08:57
Posted by Picaroon on the Guardian blog:

“ Please allow me to apologise for the error in the clue for 4A. This is entirely my fault, and I’m really sorry that it slipped through unnoticed.

I have suggested to Hugh that the clue should in fact read: “Make dashing leap, finally breaking cup sure to wobble” and I hope the online version will be amended in due course.

I really hope this didn’t cause too much frustration and I wish you all a very good weekend. I shall now go and undertake penitential readings of Chambers to make amends!”
13 of 84  -   Report This Post

chrise

6th March 2021, 09:30
I found this hard work. The bottom was complete before I had much in the top. Some of the definitions were well hidden - 3d and 21a, for example.
Favourite 1a.
14 of 84  -   Report This Post

cheshirejohn

6th March 2021, 10:34
I'm sorry, but I can't see a problem with the clueing of 4 a. Surely the definition is clear and the anagram is of 2 words plus the letter r. Overall an enjoyable puzzle.
15 of 84  -   Report This Post

chrise

6th March 2021, 10:41
unless you have a different answer, you need an extra p, not r
16 of 84  -   Report This Post

pulmunen

6th March 2021, 10:43
Cheshirejohn, that’s the updated version you’re seeing, which is good.

17 of 84  -   Report This Post

jono

6th March 2021, 10:49
The online version and the pdf have been updated to the amended clue as below. The app not yet.
18 of 84  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th March 2021, 11:36
I was lucky to come to this after 4a had been amended - though it calls it 4dn! Difficult for the Grauniad to get things right some days ... so respect to those who got it right before the correction. I liked the clueing - esp the defintions of the great performers.
19 of 84  -   Report This Post

simonh

6th March 2021, 11:53
I can confirm that the IPhone App is still showing the wrong version of 4a. Otherwise it’s a great crossword although it took me way too long to parse 21a.
20 of 84  -   Report This Post