CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

12th December 2020, 01:03
This week's puzzle is by that perennial (have I used that right?) favourite, Paul.

FOI was 5d followed by 7d.

10a/4a - was a phrase I'd never come across before but it wasn't too hard to figure out the two words and then Google did the rest.

24d/1d - was also an uncommon phrase but at least I knew this one.

I'm no expert but I think 8d constitutes a "Pauline" type clue:-)

In terms of difficulty I'd say this sits somewhere in the middle - a lot depends on how quickly you olve the long clues.

If you do get stuck you might look at 6d and 7d and they should help with the 10/4a combination.

There are still a few I haven't fully parsed, namely 9/11a and 23d but the answers are clear and I can't decide if 22a should end in a Y - hopefully I'll have a PDM before long.

COD - I'd written down 17a but the more I look at the Pauline clue the more I like it - so 8d it is.

We had more first-time posters last week joining our friendly Guardian Forum so let's keep the trend going. Don't forget - if you get stuck you can always ask for a hint....or two!

Thanks to Paul for a most enjoyable crossword.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 85  -   Report This Post

geeker

12th December 2020, 01:22
I thought this was a tough one! Agreed on 8 - Paul is back in form.
I'm stuck on the intersecting pair 1a and 2d, despite having all the crossers save their intersection. Have a guess about 2d, but not confident enough to write it in.
FOI 7, COD 16d, also liked 18, 14, 19.
2 of 85  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th December 2020, 01:22
Just worked out the wordplay for 9/11a - absolutely brilliant and one I think Forum regular Chris will appreciate (although It's nothing to do with science).
3 of 85  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th December 2020, 01:24
Hi Geeker,

1a - is a double definition.

2d - "take down quickly" in the "food" sense - definition is "message".
4 of 85  -   Report This Post

geeker

12th December 2020, 01:32
Thanks, Brendan, got them now.
Still haven't fully parsed (9, 11). No hints yet, please; I have a feeling others may have trouble with it, and fear spoilers. :)
5 of 85  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th December 2020, 01:34
👍
6 of 85  -   Report This Post

mathi

12th December 2020, 02:37
9a: yes, it involves golf terms.
7 of 85  -   Report This Post

geeker

12th December 2020, 03:07
Thanks, I see it now, wouldn't have parsed it on my own.
8 of 85  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th December 2020, 03:11
Alas, it's an average score for me - even on a pitch-and-putt:-(
9 of 85  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

12th December 2020, 04:19
Well I am completely flummoxed by this one. Only got three answers today, so I am just not on the same wavelength as the setter I guess.
Will check back for hints.
10 of 85  -   Report This Post