CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

13th December 2020, 20:23
Hi Luko,

23d - If the day after November the 30th is Dec 1 then the imaginary/"fancifully" Nov 31st must be Dec O - I think.

27a - is a double definition - think "storm" as in what an army does when it ?????? the enemy and "damage" as in cost/price.
81 of 85  -   Report This Post

luko

13th December 2020, 22:59
Many thanks Brendan, got them now. I was trying to make 23 work with decko, which is why I got nowhere with 27.

I'm still unhappy about the parsing of 23, Dec 0 is definitely the day before Nov 31, not the one after; and I cannot see why we pick the last letter out of anger. On the other hand, I see red backwards and I wonder if that's a way to break the clue down, although I still don't get the rest.

Today's Everyman was a stroll in the park by comparison! Many thanks to all the contributors here, who are both a great help and a reassurance that I'm not the only one struggling. I'm only sorry that I don't look frequently enough to help on the rare occasions when someone asks about a clue that I've got!
82 of 85  -   Report This Post

abicoop

14th December 2020, 11:56
I don't like the Dec 0 thing either, though I think he means it is the same day as Nov 31 not the day after. The "after" in the clues indicates that the R goes after it, and that comes from "back in anger"
83 of 85  -   Report This Post

rossim

14th December 2020, 13:11
I think it's the worst clue I've seen in a long time.

24/1 came to me quite easily as I lived near Badminton for a while. I don't possess any though!

An enjoyable crossword on the whole.
84 of 85  -   Report This Post

silverfox

16th December 2020, 09:16
As usual I let this fester after making a really good start, telling myself that if I came back to it later, I'd see the answers to the last few. And, as usual, I had to rely on picking the brains of the usual brainy types on the forum who set me straight. Eventually finished it after a break for writing Christmas cards, and I really enjoyed it. I actually had 9, 11 but , having no knowledge of golf, couldn't see how it worked out. Guidance was also needed on 24, 1 and 8 and I'm thankful for those who helped me out of my misery. This site is invaluable.
85 of 85  -   Report This Post