CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

29th November 2020, 00:49
This week's Everyman is a fine example of the evolution of language and the constant addition of new terms and phrases - I think this is the first time I've ever seen the answers to 2d and 22a in a crossword - but I doubt it will be the last.

This also had a different feel to the most recent puzzles but that could just be me.

FOI was 1a (when you see it you'll know why) followed by 1d.

I had to check the definition of the last part of 9a but, although I didn't know it, it's in Chambers so no complaints.

In terms of difficulty I'd say it's a bit harder than usual with fewer anagrams but, I've said before, these things are very subjective.

If you do get stuck there's a fairly straightforward 'initial letters', a 'regularly' and a long anagram in the acrosses.

COD - I've chosen 3d though the self-referencing clue at 16a ran it very close.

It's been great to see so many new posters joining our friendly Everyman thread in recent weeks. If you stuck there are always people around willing to help - you might be one of them 😉

Thanks to Everyman for a fun crossword.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 55  -   Report This Post

brendan

29th November 2020, 00:56
I'm not sure how our beloved Team GB champ and national treasure will feel about talk of her being given a pill...🤔
2 of 55  -   Report This Post

mattrom

29th November 2020, 02:12
Hi Brendan, I enjoyed this puzzle. 9a. was my last in. I can't see how the grammar works for the first part, though. It's almost as if 'down' was meant to be something else. (Assuming my answer is correct)
3 of 55  -   Report This Post

brendan

29th November 2020, 02:17
Hi mattrom,

9a - I think "down" forms part of the definition, although it would read better if it was preceded by "when".

I think most people will enjoy this one, there's lots to like:-)
4 of 55  -   Report This Post

brendan

29th November 2020, 02:18
....although I'm having seconds thoughts now!
5 of 55  -   Report This Post

brendan

29th November 2020, 02:21
9a - When i first read it I thought that "when" and "telling" were deliberately left out to improve the surface but now I'm not so sure - what do you think?
6 of 55  -   Report This Post

mattrom

29th November 2020, 02:28
Thinking about it further, I suppose 'pork pies' could be a synonym for the first word as a noun.
7 of 55  -   Report This Post

brendan

29th November 2020, 02:33
Nice one Mattrom, I think that's it - Chambers says it can be a noun in that form, as well as a verb and adjective.
8 of 55  -   Report This Post

rainman

29th November 2020, 02:38
That's how I read it. I assume that the word 'down' was added because worrying pork pies makes no sense. I have got the answer to 13d, but I don't really understand how all the seconds fit in. Are they some kind of crossword indicator?
9 of 55  -   Report This Post

brendan

29th November 2020, 02:43
Hi Rainman,

13d - First "second" is the first letter + 5 letter "crews" + 3 letter "in" (as in 'fashionable') + last letter is the final "second" - definition "boats"
10 of 55  -   Report This Post