CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

barryc

29th November 2020, 10:03
‘Cos I agree with Chrise, and I think it means rings
41 of 55  -   Report This Post

jono

29th November 2020, 10:12
I read 6a, as the first three words being the definition and the fourth word being the inclusion indicator (though I did think this was a bit week as such)
42 of 55  -   Report This Post

david w

29th November 2020, 11:45
Although everyone else seems content I'll enter a small protest against 25a.

It's part of the fun when a clue allows the solver to misunderstand what is going on. However I think it is dishonest for a clue to give information which is not just ambiguous but specifically false. If "Slough" (with the initial capital) had been the first word of 25a it would have left doubt as to whether it was the place-name, the noun, or the verb. As the last word it is unambiguously the place-name, and not the (differently pronounced) verb.
43 of 55  -   Report This Post

rainman

29th November 2020, 13:23
I think slough is being used as a noun. The meaning is “get rid of slough”.
44 of 55  -   Report This Post

tonystock

29th November 2020, 13:50
after spending some time researching Vietnamese mountains the penny dropped .....love it when it's staring right at you.....hadnt heard of some words so learnt something as well.
45 of 55  -   Report This Post

catcharmer

29th November 2020, 14:41
Good afternoon. Finally got 6a but had to look it up in Chambers. New word. Ditto 2d, which turns out to be very clever! I saw 26a as an anagram with abbreviation for arranger tacked on. 3D was great! As were several more. 7d — 1st 2 letters a bit strange but yeah I understand. Thanks Forumers! Have a safe week.
46 of 55  -   Report This Post

chrisxxxx

29th November 2020, 16:14
Not certain a native would agree with the answer to 18d . Trying not to give too much away
47 of 55  -   Report This Post

will4jan

29th November 2020, 17:41
As usual, late to the party. COD 8d. Wife helped with 19d. Did others see any connection between 12d and 23a? And what is 225 blog? A number of comments in the forum made me chuckle, thank you!
48 of 55  -   Report This Post

jono

29th November 2020, 18:20
Will4jan, I’m probably responsible for referencing 225. It’s shorthand for
http://www.fifteensquared.net/
(i.e. 15x15) where you can find commentary for midweek crosswords each day and the weekend ones a week later. It’s an interesting forum, though not as good as this one imho 😉
49 of 55  -   Report This Post

fop

29th November 2020, 21:58
I have a recollection of a TV documentary with a Guardian compiler, may have been Araucaria. When asked to define his job his reply was "I have to say what I mean, but, I don't always have to mean what I say"
My LOI was 25a. Penny dropped when I saw that Everyman not only said what he meant - he said it 3 times. 1st 3 words, didn't mean (3'1)
2nd 3 words (4)
7th word (4), didn't mean the capital to be taken literally.
My COD
50 of 55  -   Report This Post