CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

3rd October 2020, 17:50
Hi roof
The "salt" in 13 is maritime.
19a is a slang/derogatory term for a small child
41 of 80  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd October 2020, 17:51
Hi Roof,

I remember the film Duel, very tense.

4d - "eat everything" is 4,3 around 2 letters for sailor/"salt"

19a - is a small child/"infant"

42 of 80  -   Report This Post

roof

3rd October 2020, 19:09
Thanks Brendan and Chrise

I solved these thank you. And I've got 25 and 27 amongst others.

Thanks Chrise for my formula for alcohol. I did find it in my old school organic chemistry book. It brought back memories. We did the quiz on zoom, but not many participants and nobody got 50%. I'm sure you would have all done better than that.

I'm mostly stuck on the top left quarter now. Please can I have a couple of hints for 2d I have P?????U? Is it a metal? and 11acfor which I have nothing. I've thought of an answer, but can see where the Highlands fit in.

43 of 80  -   Report This Post

roof

3rd October 2020, 19:11
It should have read:

I can't see where the Highlands fit in.
44 of 80  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd October 2020, 19:12
Glad it helped, roof.
2d is a metal - a shorter metal inside a colour
11 take c out of a word?
45 of 80  -   Report This Post

roof

3rd October 2020, 20:08
Thanks Chris

Your hint for 2d confirmed my metal. I'm not sure why I didn't see it clearly before. I also got 9ac. Not a word I have any experience of. This in turn led me to 7d. I had already considered the answer, but suddenly I saw the word play. I then got 1d, though I'm not sure where the little bit short comes in. LOI was 3d. I'm not sure why I hadn't got it before.
Similarly, I understood the wordplay for 11ac, but was trying to find a letter to put in to a different word for inebriate to get Highlands. Then the penny dropped.

So I've finished and can get back to other jobs or reading Middlemarch.
46 of 80  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd October 2020, 20:14
Glad you got it finished, Roof.

1d - "abridged version of Poltergeist" = SPECTR(e) around "little bit short" = ATO(m)
47 of 80  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

3rd October 2020, 20:47
I am stuck one last clue, 5d. No idea how to even start this one - is the definition “market”?

As always, I appreciate the hints from this forum, and would have only got a couple of answers without your collective help on this rather tricky crossword. I do wonder if it might have ended up a more enjoyable crossword if the setter had not pursued the theme quite so far.
48 of 80  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd October 2020, 20:51
FemmeNoire (spooky?)
Yes, it's "market", but as a verb.
49 of 80  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd October 2020, 20:52
Hi Femmenoire,

5d - Yes, market as in "sell" is the definition - 2 two letter films inside/"screened by" 2 letters for "opposite sides"
50 of 80  -   Report This Post