CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

22nd September 2020, 16:18
Thanks, Samovar. Chambers simply has 'to hunt with ...' - so I don't think the specific 'hares' applies really?

When I lived in Wiltshire, the pack of B????? I saw weekly were certainly more interested in foxes than hares!
61 of 76  -   Report This Post

samovar

22nd September 2020, 16:50
Thank you, Malone. I had never heard of the word being applied generally. But I am very relieved that I haven't missed some witticism by the Setter !
How funny about your local pack in Wiltshire!
Thanks very much again.
62 of 76  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd September 2020, 17:04
Thanks, Samovar. I had a look in my Oxford Dictionary of English and saw your definition, specifying hares, there, so you weren't wrong. It just doesn't work for the Listener clue, where Chambers is the primary reference.
63 of 76  -   Report This Post

samovar

22nd September 2020, 18:04
Thank you, Malone. How kind of you to look inthe Oxford Dictionary of English. I have always thought Chambers was Supreme..but now think I had better get a copy of the ODE. !
64 of 76  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd September 2020, 18:10
Samovar, it was curiosity that got me checking my dictionaries, wondering where your definition had come from!

PS Collins says 'often used (especially formerly) for hunting hares'. That seems to be a sort of middle option - not as general as Chambers, not as specific as the ODE.

My Chambers gets the most use, but the other dictionaries are sometimes called upon.
65 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd September 2020, 18:11
Hi Samovar, hi Malone,

In the past, I'm fairly sure I've seen it specifically mentioned in the preamble if a word doesn't appear in Chambers but does appear in the ODE - but not this time.
66 of 76  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd September 2020, 18:17
Thanks, Brendan. Yes, Listener is usually quite conscientious, saying 'Chambers... is the usual reference but 14 D is in Collins' or '...but 13 A is in the Oxford Dictionary of English' and so on.
67 of 76  -   Report This Post

samovar

22nd September 2020, 20:54
Thanks Brendan and Malone. Sorry to be late answering, have been out.
I think it was the specific mention of "foxes" that threw me..if the definitionhad been "pursued wild animals" I wouldn't have worried at all!
68 of 76  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

22nd September 2020, 23:56
Yes, just last week, in fact, there was a clue with an * noting that it would be found in the ODE.
69 of 76  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

22nd September 2020, 23:58
By the way, over here it seems to be referred to as the OED. Is that incorrect? For me, ODE means ordinary differential equation.
70 of 76  -   Report This Post