CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

son1ofrover1

14th September 2020, 17:10
Do each of the three associated names have 5 letters (and are only two of them affected by the coding)?
31 of 42  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th September 2020, 17:14
Hi Son1ofrover1,

Yes to both questions.
32 of 42  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

14th September 2020, 17:56
Thanks brendan.
33 of 42  -   Report This Post

notnil

14th September 2020, 18:02
Aha, thank you sunray, brendan and son1ofrover1. What a helpful bunch you are. I was happy with Elihi for 'Prophet welcoming' but but glad I pursued the problem.

On another matter, it appears that every Inquisitor setter is issued with a Scottish thesaurus. Anyone know where I can get one?
34 of 42  -   Report This Post

malone

14th September 2020, 18:21
Notnil, I think most, if not all, of the Scottish words we come across - in crosswords - are in Chambers. I have a copy of The Scots School Dictionary, Chambers, but I seldom need to look in there.
35 of 42  -   Report This Post

merenz

15th September 2020, 10:15
Welcome to the forum notnil. I find this website handy for the Scottish stuff. And, as mentioned, they should all be verifiable in Chambers. The chambers app is worth investing in.

https://www.scots-online.org/mobile/dictionary/english_scots.php
36 of 42  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th September 2020, 11:53
Thanks Merenz, that looks very useful.
37 of 42  -   Report This Post

notnil

15th September 2020, 22:37
Merenz, this is just the sort of thing I had been looking for. Many thanks.
38 of 42  -   Report This Post

lumen

17th September 2020, 08:54
I wanted to do this one without looking at the forum. I filled all except the coded thematics before seeking a clue.
What a shame it wasn't made clear that the same pair of names was used for all clues. I really thought different names each time. As soon as I read it was only one pair, I finished right away.
Also a bit of a red herring as Rosalind and Ganymede are the same person, unlike the two we needed?
39 of 42  -   Report This Post

guybarry

19th September 2020, 16:24

I was pleased that ROSALIND and GANYMEDE were given as the example, because it made clear that it was permissible for two letters to encode as the same letter (in this case I -> E and D -> E). Had that example not been given, I would have assumed that it was like a normal substitution cipher where each letter encodes uniquely, which would probably have stopped me from getting the correct solution. I strongly suspect the example was chosen deliberately for that reason.

I agree that the instructions are ambiguous as to whether the same pair of names is used each time; "the clue answer is composed of letters in a name" should probably have said "a specified name" or something like that. I worked on the assumption that the puzzle would have been insoluble otherwise; if you could pick a different pair of names each time, then there would be multiple possible encodings for each word, and no way of knowing what to write in for the unchecked letters.

A model of clarity compared with this week's incomprehensible instructions though!
40 of 42  -   Report This Post