CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

loge

13th September 2020, 08:22
That's an easy mistake to make, Brendan. Copying grids is a minefield of potential errors. But I'm curious as to why you'd bother to do it in the first place?
21 of 42  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th September 2020, 08:38
Hi Loge,

I get sent the puzzle by a very kind forum member and my printer has stopped working with since the introduction of Windows 10 - I could just get another printer but I've always enjoyed art and technical drawing so I really don't mind drawing out the grid. I try to be as careful as possible but, as my habitual errors show, this is not always the case:-)
22 of 42  -   Report This Post

loge

13th September 2020, 08:53
Fair enough, Brendan!
23 of 42  -   Report This Post

merenz

13th September 2020, 10:16
Brilliant. Thanks Ginge. I’ve fallen foul of those types of clues before. I wonder if this time I’ll learn! Doubtful.
24 of 42  -   Report This Post

notnil

14th September 2020, 16:07
Hi all. I am new to the forum and relatively new to Inquisitor , starting during lockdown. This was my fastest completion, grid and endgame, which left me feeling pleased with myself except for nagging uncertainties over 2 clues.

1. I have struggled unsuccessfully with the wordplay for 17a.

2. I cannot find confirmation of the definition for 32a (assuming I have it right).

Any hints would be appreciated.
25 of 42  -   Report This Post

sunray

14th September 2020, 16:25
notnil:

ZIP reversed with Z, I and Roman censor.

Priest is ELI and the def. is ambassador
26 of 42  -   Report This Post

notnil

14th September 2020, 16:42
sunray,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Annoying how the wordplay becomes obvious when explained. I still haven't found confirmation of ambassador for my entry (or any other word beginning with those 3 letters). Looks like I need to widen my reference collection.
27 of 42  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

14th September 2020, 16:47
notnil, those three letters surround an abbreviation. Chambers gives the definition.
28 of 42  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th September 2020, 16:50
Hi Notnil,

The 3 letter priest goes around a 2 letter abbr. of "Chinese"
29 of 42  -   Report This Post

sunray

14th September 2020, 17:05
notnil:

You can use this tool.
https://chambers.co.uk/puzzles/word-wizard/

Put in EL??I and you will get the word you are looking for.
30 of 42  -   Report This Post