CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

6th September 2020, 10:58
Hi Griddled,

I use the phone app version of Chambers but I totally understand that it's easy to miss things references in it, if missing definitions in plain view was an Olympic sport I'd be a gold medalist:-)
61 of 81  -   Report This Post

griddled

6th September 2020, 11:15
That's interesting, Brendan. Admittedly my eyesight isn't good, but here's the version on the web -

chambers co uk [add the dots]

Searching for a (or A) gives two entries for abbreviations -

A2 abbreviation 1 absolute (temperature). 2 cards ace. 3 acre or acres. 4 music alto. 5 ammeter. 6 ampere or amperes. 7 angstrom. 8 area. 9 argon. 10 atomic weight. 11 IVR Austria.
a2 abbreviation 1 acceleration. 2 acre or acres. 3 adjective. 4 are or ares. 5 area. 6 ante (Latin), before.

As the proud possessor of a 2G mobile, such things as 'apps' are beyond my ken. Perhaps the app has more extensive definitions than the web version?
62 of 81  -   Report This Post

mattrom

6th September 2020, 11:19
Hi Griddled and Brendan, I've noticed that the free online version of Chambers has less extensive definitions than my printed version.
Perhaps Brendan is using a subscription version?
63 of 81  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th September 2020, 11:27
Ahhh! I see what yous mean Griddled and Mattrom.

You were referring to the web version of Chambers, but I've got the phone app version which you have to buy (it's not dear and I got both Chambers dictionary and thesaurus using a £10 Google gift token - with money to spare!)

The phone app version is fantastic and has word search facilities which really, really help:-)
64 of 81  -   Report This Post

jono

6th September 2020, 11:36
I also have the Chambers apps on my iPad. They’re very useful especially as you can switch from dictionary to thesaurus and back in one click for the same word.
I also picked up the hard copy books on eBay, in perfect condition and half price compared to new. They are lovely books to browse through and as a bonus the Thesaurus has a section in the middle exploring interesting lists and usages of words, which you get don’t with the apps.
65 of 81  -   Report This Post

griddled

6th September 2020, 11:52
Oh god, I've got an i-pad which I use as an amateur (note, not armchair!) musician. Now I'm sorely tempted! Thanks Jono, I may give this a go.
66 of 81  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

6th September 2020, 13:01
I really enjoyed 25a. Not come across this use of “parameters” before, but I have just dabbled in cryptic crosswords over the years and only recently have been participating regularly, so maybe it’s well known? Smit I was also looking for a Clue reference for ages - I became a fan as a teenager and have loved the long-running Radio 4 gem ever since (now in my 50s). Oh how Tim Brooke-Taylor will be missed.

19a thanks for the explanation Brendan. A new word to add to my lexicon! It was obvious what the answer was, but not why.

67 of 81  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

6th September 2020, 13:04
Oops sorry wrong thread. Meant to post on Everyman
🤭
68 of 81  -   Report This Post

rocky7

6th September 2020, 13:23
As usual late to the party and still tackling on Sunday afternoon. The interesting thing about this puzzle was even when I had a foothold in it, it didn't get any easier. Never heard of 1d, 5d or 19a and have now ground to a halt at the SE corner. hints on 23d would get me going I think.
69 of 81  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th September 2020, 13:29
Hi Rocky,

23d definition is "issue" (as in 'magazine') - first letter is got from "see" + O(ld) + "cover of Playboy" for the last 2 letters.
70 of 81  -   Report This Post