CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

5th September 2020, 09:16
Hi Bigmacsub,

That's a good analogy, I've been on them courses - I think I might even have given a couple:-)
21 of 81  -   Report This Post

mathi

5th September 2020, 09:17
Yes, that seems better. I took ‘behind section’ as the last three letters and the standard two letter abbreviation for a sailing vessel sandwiching the four letters for crew.
22 of 81  -   Report This Post

jono

5th September 2020, 09:41
Morning all,
That was quite a technical solve I thought. Having read Brendan’s early remarks I started in the SW corner which helped! Took me a while to get 14a but when I did it was good. I doubt the cool kids use that 3 letter term these days (or call themselves cool kids for that matter). Some clever surfaces. 1d probably my favourite.
There’s a particular thread on this forum that might appreciate 15d ;)
23 of 81  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th September 2020, 09:57
Hi Jono,

I was pleased to see 15d as well:-)
24 of 81  -   Report This Post

hywel

5th September 2020, 10:41
Morning all, here comes the slow man

Help for the following please

19a Rod might drink daughter´s tea (9)
I have X?????D?R

21a Polish mum once called round (5)
I have ????N

and 22a American friend, turning over sport, getting armchair (7)
I have ??????R

Ta
25 of 81  -   Report This Post

chrise

5th September 2020, 10:44
Hi Hywel
19 your X is wrong. It's a (slightly unfamilar) variety of China tea.

21 I took some time to see this. The definition is obvious, but the wordplay is devious - best clue in the puzzle.

22 Definition is a type of "expert"
26 of 81  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th September 2020, 10:46
Hi Hywel,

19a Your X should be a G - definition is "tea" (but I#d never heard of it) and it's 3 letter word for "rod" + 5 letter word for "might" around D(aughter)

21a definition is "polish" - 2 letters for "mum" (as in 'quiet') + 3 letter word for "once called" (birth name) reversed/"round"

22a - definition is "armchair" (another definition I didn't know) - single letter for A(merican) + 4 letter word for "friend" + 2 letter abbr. for a "sport"/game reversed/"turning over"
27 of 81  -   Report This Post

hywel

5th September 2020, 10:49
Thanks Chrise and Brendan, I had likes to shoot as Chatterbox - not parsed, but I was happy with it !!
28 of 81  -   Report This Post

justsolve

5th September 2020, 10:49
Wow, certainly no walk in the park, not helped by the fact that I had never come across 19a with this meaning and I hadn't heard of 1d so I had to work it out from the wordplay.

I'm still puzzled by the definition of 20d - surely it should "almost" rather than "as good as?" Or am I missing something obvious? (Wouldn't be the first time!)
29 of 81  -   Report This Post

chrise

5th September 2020, 10:53
Hi JustSolve
"As good as" can mean" almost, as in "the puzzle is as good as finished".
30 of 81  -   Report This Post