CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

5th September 2020, 01:28
(Please ignore the other thread, it's much easier to find when the word "Prize" is in the title).

I didn't do last week's puzzle, but, judging by the comments on this Forum, it was very difficult. I only mention it because anyone thinking this week's crossword by Tramp was going to be a stroll in the park by comparison, will be sorely disappointed - or pleased, depending on your wishes.

I started like I normally do by going over each clue in order, but it wasn't until I reached 22d that I actually managed to write anything in! Thankfully that was quickly followed by the crossing 24a and I was on my way:-)

19a and 22a though not uncommon words, their particular definitions were new to me.

There's also an answer that should please our cousins across the pond.

I haven't fully parsed 14a, but the answer is clear so hopefully it'll come to me later.

There are very few anagrams and I only counted one "hidden" as many of the clues are of the "charade" type (I think that's what they're called) whereby the answer is made up of lots of different sections eg. 16a and 23a.

Lots of contenders for COD - 21d because it's good to see the great bassist Mark King (Level 42) get a mention, also 12a one of the charade type clues and 15d - well, I am a proud member! 😉 but I'm going with the succinct 21a.

Many thanks to Tramp for a first rate puzzle.

As always, please feel free to leave a comment or ask for help should you need it. It's been great to see so many new solvers joining in our friendly discussion thread - the more the merrier 😀

Stay safe:-)
1 of 81  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th September 2020, 01:33
.....and as is so often the way, I've figured out the parsing for 14a and it's another very clever charade type clue.
2 of 81  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th September 2020, 01:45
The last three letters of 18a can be added to the list of new definitions for me from common words, though this one may be more well known and, like the others I mentioned, it is in Chambers.
3 of 81  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th September 2020, 02:05
Actually I still haven't fully parsed 5d, - I'm wondering if it's an "&Lit" type of clue and the first 4 letters are "this man will" and the last 6 are "party"?
4 of 81  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th September 2020, 05:36
Hi Brendan,
I also skipped last week (regrettably not a fan of Maskarade).
Thanks to Tramp for a challenge. I found this extremely difficult. COD 12, 22a close, also liked 14a, 7, 20. Still uncertain about 5, I wrote in an answer according to your logic but also can't parse!
5 of 81  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th September 2020, 05:50
Hi Geeker,

So it's not just me then who found this quite difficult in places:-)

5d definition in Chambers is "a reckless or debauched person" so I presume somebody who enjoys parties. It's a 4 letter contraction of "he will" followed by a 6 letter slang term a "party" or in Chambers "a (drunken) spree".

I like your choice of favourite clues - there are so many good ones to choose from.
6 of 81  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th September 2020, 05:52
...sorry, that should be 4 letter contraction of "this man will" (amounts to the same thing, though).
7 of 81  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th September 2020, 05:55
Thanks. I don't have Chambers, but now believe my answer for 5 is correct.
8 of 81  -   Report This Post

lucertola

5th September 2020, 07:30
I'm "hit in the mouth" (clue) to have solved this in an hour. In my case hefty use of Crossworld Solver and the Forum are always required on a Saturday when there's no checking facility to get the vowels in. My achievement may not impress the experts but its a PB for me! Thanks, Brendan, for supplying your wonderful early morning hints...
9 of 81  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th September 2020, 07:35
Hi Lucertola,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us of you "gob-smacking" achievement 😀I can guarantee you it took me more than an hour.

All the best.
10 of 81  -   Report This Post