CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gitto

6th September 2020, 12:35
Diver, with absolutely no offence intended, is your mathematician suffering from a touch of dyslexia?
81 of 151  -   Report This Post

turast

6th September 2020, 12:47
Given the lyrically iterated digit preceding the juvenile male, should we be contemplation the insertion of a Desmond at that location?
82 of 151  -   Report This Post

diver

6th September 2020, 12:56
Yes, thanks Gitto. Not dyslexia, but wrong mathematician!
83 of 151  -   Report This Post

kirky

6th September 2020, 13:07
i think that whoever is asking for help on a Listener thread really needs to specify how big a hint they want/ parse required etc...
Pesonally when i've been working on a crossword for 2 or 3 days and am getting nowhere, then i'll ask for help whether it's Listener/ EV/ Inquisitor, as i like to have it sewn up by then.

We must be careful not to discourage Listener newbies by being too harsh (that was what happened on Answerbank and that thread now usually only displays a handful of replies on the weekly thread.....where have all the folk gone who used to post there?....are they perhaps on here under a different username??
84 of 151  -   Report This Post

loge

6th September 2020, 14:01
I think not, Turast, on the grounds of consistency.

I’d say this forum generally works very well these days as regards providing hints without direct spoilers. In contrast I remember a former poster, before I joined, who often gave several answers without being asked to. I suspect he’s the one who posts the solutions on Facebook, not least because he was the one who drew attention to it!
85 of 151  -   Report This Post

jif73

6th September 2020, 17:03
* I finished this enjoyable, well-constructed puzzle about 18:00 (BST) on 05-SEP, once again being lucky enough not to have to resort to searching this forum for hints / nudges, even though I had problems with some clues, such as 33ac, as others have; I would respectfully advise people who are having difficulty parsing a clue (including myself!) to look up all seemingly simple words within a problem clue in Chambers - there’s often an obscure synonym that makes all clear!
In the end, the only problem I have is understanding the title of the puzzle. Is it simply, as malone (post 73) interprets it: not a noun but a verb that is a cryptic synonym of part of the title of another version of the thematic ODQ quote?

* Hitting ‘Add Reply’ and ‘Reply to this post’ on this forum BOTH seem to result in a post appearing at the top of the thread. By the time a post has been composed and sent, one or more other posts may have been submitted. May I make a plea for responses to have the moniker on the original post (AND ideally its post number) at the top of the reply? This will make it absolutely clear who and which post this response is aimed at.

* I often see posts referring to ‘EV’ and ‘Inquisitor’. Would someone kindly enlighten me what these are?
86 of 151  -   Report This Post

kenhiggs

6th September 2020, 17:17
Enigmatic Variations (Sunday Telegraph) and Inquisitor (weekend "I" newspaper)
87 of 151  -   Report This Post

umanna

6th September 2020, 17:26
Could someone please help me understand 6d? The wordplay seems straightforward but I don't understand the def. I'm sure I'm missing something completely obvious.
88 of 151  -   Report This Post

loge

6th September 2020, 17:32
Jif, that’s how I interpreted the title - a synonym of a frequently occurring word in the ODQ entry when treated as a verb.

89 of 151  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th September 2020, 17:38
Hi Umanna,

The definition is a synonym of the answer to 16a.
90 of 151  -   Report This Post