CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lewap

8th September 2020, 08:14
Hi
In 6d, am I correct in thinking that the definition is actually the definition of 16ac?
Also, could someone parse 16ac? I have a 2 letter quiet, a 2 letter popular, and s(on) at the end....not sure about the Spanish girl....
121 of 151  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th September 2020, 08:26
Hi Lewap,

Yes, regarding the definition of 6d.

16a 2 letters "quiet" + 2 letters "popular" + 4 letters "Spanish girl" (popular Spanish female name) + S(on)
122 of 151  -   Report This Post

suzannahj

8th September 2020, 11:10
I'm pretty much finished now, although I don't get the relevance of the title and I'm stuck on 1a and 1d. Is there a clash in the first square?
123 of 151  -   Report This Post

colinesterhaze

8th September 2020, 12:13
Yes, Suzanna
124 of 151  -   Report This Post

colinesterhaze

8th September 2020, 12:24
Good afternoon Norah.
We're very sorry that you were disappointed with our comment. We didn't expect many here to agree with our view, but in the context of honesty, fairness and morality we thought that it was an important point to express.

We took just 5 minutes going through 3 Listener threads from 3-5 years ago. We found the following were multiple contributors who we see little or nothing of now : crucifer, ginge, planks, woodlouse, meursault, djawhufc, crosswhit99, cockie, escuan, barretter, pkd, kirky, throck, kilgore trout, demeter, keepatit. That was just on 3 Listener threads. Also there were many single contributions from people you don't see now. So we think that your response of 'Balderdash' was a wee bit hasty and perhaps you should reconsider it.

We haven't been impressed by friendliness on the forum. No-one has greeted us, though we made it clear that this week was our first active participation. Even your own friendliness seemed only short-lived. So we won't be making any further contributions.

We wish you well, stay safe in the coming second wave.
Colin, Esther and Hazel
125 of 151  -   Report This Post

kirky

8th September 2020, 13:36
colin,esther & hazel ....I'm still here.....cockie often drops in on EV or IQ threads
ginge is still around giving good hints/ answers for many puzzles
I've seen crosswhit99 on here recently too....not sure of the others you mention
126 of 151  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

8th September 2020, 14:07
Esther
It's really sad that you feel you don't want to contribute. We'll struggle on valiantly without you, managing as best we can. Who knows, maybe we'll still be able to have a fairly relaxed Forum with a friendly bunch of people free from the acrimony you have caused these last few days.

You are quite right, my friendliness was very short lived when you insisted on continuing the argument on the Forum despite the fact I made it quite plain that I did not want the discussion to continue.

I have no intention of reconsidering any part of my post, it is you who should be considering how it is possible for a new User to cause so much disruption in such a short to space of time.

I’m not surprised that nobody welcomed you to the Forum, you didn’t exactly endear yourself with the tone of your posts, a bull in a china shop springs to mind.

One of my email correspondents feels very indignant at your lengthy list of my faults as Admin coupled with the Forum's failings and inadequacies .... she did point out that no one forced you to join us.

The door is always open for you to contribute to discussions at any time but only if you are prepared to follow our rules and to join in with the friendly spirit that is prevalent on the Forum.

I wish you all the best for the future, keep safe.

127 of 151  -   Report This Post

ginge

8th September 2020, 14:57
Hi all, as kirky pointed out I'm still here and still contribute to some threads but rarely now to any Listener ones.
I have to put my hands in the area and plead guilty Norah to posting an email address on a couple of threads ( I'm well aware of the potential dangers and at least 1 time was a Listener thread but also wasn't aware it was tabu to admin) in response to specific requests relating to the endgame but as it was relatively early after publication of the puzzle I didn't want my comments spoiling the puzzle for others posting not at such an advanced stage.
As a consequence I now receive regular emails re Listener puzzles from a few people which I now realise will mean fewer posts on these threads which wasn't my initial intention.
128 of 151  -   Report This Post

ginge

8th September 2020, 14:58
Area !?, Air (obviously).
129 of 151  -   Report This Post

jamesa

8th September 2020, 17:48
I have finished everything but have no idea of the source of the version in ODQ presumably containing the thematic items. Any help would be much appreciated, I have googled some of the thematic items but have got nowhere.
130 of 151  -   Report This Post