CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rocky7

22nd August 2020, 21:08
Right, as usual I rarely start until Sat night Sun morning. So thanks for the hints here. Always useful. I watched Brookside as a teenager and 4d was used a lot if I've got it right. But no idea how to parse it. Plodding on but some of the definitions are a bit different to usual.
41 of 65  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd August 2020, 21:12
If you liked the Bridge and the Killing, you’ll like the Finnish crime drama Deadwind (Karppi) very much of the same ilk
42 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd August 2020, 21:14
Hi Rocky,

Snap 😂 As soon as I got 4d I immediately thought of Barry Grant in Brookside.

The parsing is - First two letters of go inside I(nternational) C(lubs) a 4 letter "European" and again go in a five letter word for "bid".
43 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd August 2020, 21:17
Sorry, that should have read....

First letters of I(nternational) C(lubs) go inside a 4 letter "European" and again/"twice" go inside a five letter word for "bid".

Hi Jono,

Thanks, I like those Scandinavian dramas, and the acting is always top notch.
44 of 65  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd August 2020, 21:19
And if you fancy some Icelandic drama ‘Trapped’ is excellent
45 of 65  -   Report This Post

lucygordon

22nd August 2020, 21:47
Late to this as usual. I managed most of it (FOI 5a). Really struggling in NW corner and can't get 1a or d though as no one else has asked about them I assume it's one of my dunder-headed moments! If I could get help with those I think I could finish the rest. Also pretty sure I know 23a but can't parse so I may have it wrong - could it also be a lizard?!
46 of 65  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd August 2020, 21:52
Hi Lucy,
1a is how you might say a word for breaks if you were a little tipsy, also a name for a drink. 1d if you read up on Vulcan, from mythology, you’ll get there
47 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd August 2020, 21:54
Hi Lucy,

23a definition is a "province" (in Ireland) and is a 6 letter word for "call up troops" around N(orthern).

PS I know the lizard you mean, though:-)

1a is a homophone of a 5 letter word for "breaks" (as a verb) as it would be pronounced by a drunkard - definition is "booze" (a specific drink)

1d 3 letter word for "cast" ( as in 'throw') around the German for "with" - definition is "where Vulcan (as the 'the god of....') worked".

48 of 65  -   Report This Post

lucygordon

22nd August 2020, 22:08
Thanks jono, I'd forgotten about the D for German. But still staring blankly at 1a. 4d begins with P doesn't it?
49 of 65  -   Report This Post

rocky7

22nd August 2020, 22:08
Which is why I think it is not quite on my wavelength. Quite a convoluted way of getting there. Thanks Brendan. It's going to be Sunday lunch by the time this is done for me I think.
50 of 65  -   Report This Post