CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

22nd August 2020, 19:26
Hi everyone

I'm always amazed by your early starts. Once again I've been out for the day and started the crossword late. (I saw the sea today at Budleigh - I was very excited, but it didn't help the brain).

I'm finding it hard. I've done about half, some with hints from the forum. Can someone give me some hints for a couple to make progress. 3d and 14d

For 3d I have A?????N?S
For 14d I have E?A??????

Incidently, I did know the clue for 4d and I had heard of the rebel in 12ac.
31 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd August 2020, 19:32
Hi Roof,

Budleigh sounds wonderful, especially at this time of year.

3d your letters are correct. definition is "mountains" (a specific range) and it's 2 letters for "like" around 4 letters for "state" it's an abbr. but more often used when referring to their University the IN and E(astern) - all this is inside the the 2 letter "like".

32 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd August 2020, 19:35
14d definition is "dispose of" (as in getting rid of a disease) and it's (mous)E then a 7 letter word for "shed" (very loose definition) around C(aught).
33 of 65  -   Report This Post

roof

22nd August 2020, 19:37
Hi Brendan

Thanks for that. I can now work on the across clues in that corner. My FOI was 1d.
34 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd August 2020, 19:38
....actually I've just looked in Chambers and "shed" and it's synonym both mean "to emit" so I stand corrected...again!

35 of 65  -   Report This Post

roof

22nd August 2020, 20:53
Hi Brendan

Thanks for your hints. I've mad good progress, though I'm not sure about a couple. I've got four left - 5ac, 10ac and 6d , 8d.

I'm trying to finish before tonight's marathon of The Bridge, which starts at 9.00pm I think. I'm assuming that the definition of 10ac is the last word, but I have no idea what Kentish solicitor means; similarly I'm assuming the definition of 8d is the first word. Please let me know if I have got them wrong. I have lots of words that will fit 10ac, but cannot get the word play.
36 of 65  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd August 2020, 21:02
Hi Roof,
I can tell you that Kent-ish is two letters which refer to the general positioning of Kent, though other counties could make the same claim.
I was delighted that you were in Budleigh today, I grew up in Exmouth and know that part of the country really well.
I’m also watching the Bridge (again) but I think I’ll record it and spread it out over the week! I’d forgotten how good it is!
37 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd August 2020, 21:04
Hi Roof,

10a Yes, definition is "presents "as a verb) "Kentish" refers to its postcode and "solicitor" is a 4 letter noun (think someone who solicits or sells (concert tickets, perhaps, at inflated prices))

5a straightforward anagram - think what type of paintig "the last supper" is.

6d middle of (moo)RL(and) around 3 letter word for "distressed" - definition is "carnivore of the woods".

8d definition is "trump" as a verb - 3 letter word for "unacceptable" then a 5 letter homophone/spoken of a 3 letter word for "manner".

Is THe Bridge one of those Scandinavian series? I remember the one with the female detective famous for her woolly jumpers:-)
38 of 65  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd August 2020, 21:05
Hi roof
Sorry, 5ac was my FOI - very easy anagram!

10ac Kent is in which part of England?

6d is prettey obscure, and I don't see what "of the woods" contributes. "Middle of moorland" is RL.

8d means "overcomes", sort of
39 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd August 2020, 21:05
.....Sara Lund in The Killing - it was excellent 👌
40 of 65  -   Report This Post