CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

8th August 2020, 01:00
This week's crossword is by Philistine and, although it didn't take me too long, there were a few clues that really took a while to fully parse.

My FOI was 10a and, luckily, I managed to get the multi-word 11,21a soon after - this definitely helped make the solve a lot easier.

I'm not totally sure 2d works as although the answer is singular, I've only ever heard the game pronounced as a plural, but no doubt I'm missing something, and I can't really see what's cryptic about the answer to 14a but again...it's probably me. Also, in 4a the answer is clear but I can't see exactly how it's arrived at.

23,24a should please Chris, our resident chemist:-)

There are quite a few anagrams (well, more than usual) so if you get stuck I suggest looking for these.

COD a toss up between witty 10a and the simple but succinct 17d.

I've given up trying to rate difficulty but I will say that, although it took me a while to get going, once I did, things fell nicely into place.

Thanks to Philistine for a very enjoyable crossword.

Please feel free to leave a comment, answer a query, or ask for a hint if you get stuck.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 44  -   Report This Post

geeker

8th August 2020, 01:08
Hi Brendan,

I started slowly, then chugged along until problems with the SW corner.
COD was 9 (which I really enjoyed), followed by 18 and 13D.
LOI was 25; that, (23, 24) and 13d caused the slowdown.
Thanks to Philistine, maybe this is in the midrange of Prize puzzle difficulty, though that's of course subjective.
2 of 44  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th August 2020, 01:17
Hi Geeker,

13d I liked and it has such a smooth surface.

9a I got the answer straight away but had to Google to find the "mermaid".

25a even when I had the answer it took a while to work out why - it's an unusual indicator.
3 of 44  -   Report This Post

geeker

8th August 2020, 01:22
I forgot to mention that I required Google to get the solution to 25. :)
4 of 44  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th August 2020, 01:26
#Metoo:-) I think everyone (apart from Chris) will:-)
5 of 44  -   Report This Post

mathi

8th August 2020, 04:50
I’m not sure if I got 9a right. I think I have all the crossers right. Is it the famous cave in Scotland? Why man or mermaid in the clue?
6 of 44  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th August 2020, 05:12
Hi Mathi,

Yes, it is the one in Scotland. Split the answer into two words, (3,3) and you've got a humorous description of a "mermaid".
7 of 44  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th August 2020, 05:14
PS the "man" is the person whom the cave is named after - i think!
8 of 44  -   Report This Post

mathi

8th August 2020, 05:22
Thanks. In that case, the first three letters here may mean slang for hand or man, and the last three for mermaid, I think.
9 of 44  -   Report This Post

mathi

8th August 2020, 05:26
Oh, I get it now! Funny!
10 of 44  -   Report This Post