CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crates

14th June 2020, 18:49
alwayspuzzled - Others may help better - I no longer submit - but when I did, I always submitted by post - If things have changed someone on the site will know...
81 of 121  -   Report This Post

crates

14th June 2020, 18:57
smithsax - Never pedantic - When I started solving spotted your first option. Later spotted the second option. As neither affects the final grid (or the phrase to be entered) I guess may be wondering what was in the setter's mind. Has happened occasionally over the years...
82 of 121  -   Report This Post

buzzb

14th June 2020, 19:03
Definitely by post - as long as John Green is the judge (hopefully for a LONNNGGGGG time), I suspect this will never change.

Not sure the title is really apt, unless I am missing something subtle. A 7,8 is not usually made from a 24 across.
83 of 121  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

14th June 2020, 19:35
Thanks for that information Crates and Buzzb.
84 of 121  -   Report This Post

muraria

14th June 2020, 19:52
Hi all,

Coming to this late and have resisted trawling through the thread yet. Have got as far as IDing all the blank cells and the 6,9 phrase (other side to 8D) but not the second one. Is it a cryptic or alternative rendering of the 6,9?
I can see the four groups so am assuming joining cells with lines forms letters but am struggling to form anything that makes the connection with the phrases. Hints much appreciated....
85 of 121  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

14th June 2020, 19:55
Buzzb. Perhaps the subtlety lies in the first phrase (6,9) where the “9” is definitely a type of 24 ac and the “6,9” was also made into a word spelt out in the 4 shapes. Even subtler, the 4 shapes come in a 24 across, or used to. Layers of complexity.
86 of 121  -   Report This Post

muraria

14th June 2020, 20:02
Ah, I'm guessing it's something to do with a 'culinary' version of 6,9? Something I had for lunch. Yesterday (no connection intended!) in fact.
87 of 121  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

14th June 2020, 20:21
Muraria, you’re on the right track. Just line up the pairs of clashing letters and both phrases unravel like a double helix!
88 of 121  -   Report This Post

muraria

14th June 2020, 21:08
Got you Simpleimon, many thanks!

I made the mistake of copying over my working grid and omitting the clashing letters (as per the preamble) and not revisiting them. So I ended up making various imaginary words from the spaces....thanks again.
89 of 121  -   Report This Post

numbskull

15th June 2020, 09:35
I've finished the grid except for 3d. There were some helpful hints here earlier but I'm still stuck. I think the 3rd, 4th & 5th letters are clashes. Can anyone confirm if that is correct and also if the final letter is a or e?

Also, I think I have 23a but can't work out the parsing.

90 of 121  -   Report This Post