CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

afish

17th June 2020, 22:30
Like suzannahj, this is my second attempt at a Listener having plodded along since Saturday. I've never heard of many of the answers which made the solving all the slower having to verify the wordplay. Is it expected that solvers know the words or does it usually require use of Chambers?

Think I've solved all the clues in the grid (assuming I have the blank in the right place) other than 29a which I assume is the abbreviation and a clash, albeit i'm none the wiser.

My main issue is that I have no idea where I am supposed to be drawing these lines which reading this thread has not helped so any further pointers would be much appreciated.

Once the lines are drawn perhaps I will be able to figure out what these two phrases are and make sense of the Q&A from the misprint letters as it just seems like a nonsensical phrase at the moment.

Thanks
111 of 121  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th June 2020, 22:42
Hi Afish,

I can only speak from personal experience, but I would say Chambers is essential for the Listener.

Re 29a Yes, it is the abbreviation and does have a clash.
112 of 121  -   Report This Post

turast

17th June 2020, 23:32
Afish

It is, of course, essential that you have the correct clashing letters in the right cells. I find it useful to pencil a circle into the cell and write in both letters. In this puzzle, much depends on how you normally write capital letters. The setter in this case has you drawing the lines (3 in the NW quadrant, 1 in the NE quadrant, 2 in the SW quadrant, and 4 in the SE quadrant) in a particular order, created by following the letters of two 15 letter phrases which are cryptically equivalent (one clued by the song and extra letters message). The revealed 4 capital letters can "cover" one of the phrases (6,9) in terms of saying what else it is as well as being a song, and the 4 letter word can also be used quite literally to cover the equivalent phrase (7,8). Apologies to purists who may think I've given too much away, but Afish is only on his/her second Listener.
113 of 121  -   Report This Post

afish

18th June 2020, 13:59
Thanks turast, I think i'm going to have to give up on this one and await the answers.

I appreciate your time and patience, hopefully all will become evidence once answers are revealed otherwise I may be back!
114 of 121  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

18th June 2020, 18:06
Struggling this week. I have a full grid and all but 2 answers but only 9 clashes so far. Would appreciate it if someone could confirm:

3d and 25d have 5 clashes between them

The correct letters for those clues are t and e respectively

I assumed Sri Lanka would be CL but I cannot find anything that works with CL in it. Is there another abbreviation for CL?

Thanks
115 of 121  -   Report This Post

tatters

18th June 2020, 20:07
3d and 25d have 5 clashes between them CORRECT

The correct letters for those clues are t and e respectively CORRECT

I assumed Sri Lanka would be CL but I cannot find anything that works with CL in it. Is there another abbreviation for CL? CL is CORRECT

3d is a genus of butterflies
116 of 121  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

18th June 2020, 21:33
Thanks Tatters. I will crack on then.
117 of 121  -   Report This Post

gazzar

19th June 2020, 12:16
The theme reminds me of a line from Bob Dylan's Tombstone Blues - last line of 6th verse (excluding the chorus).
Hope that doesn't give too much away lol.
Nice puzzle!
118 of 121  -   Report This Post

crosswhit99

22nd June 2020, 14:43
Excellent puzzle with a nice blend of interwoven thematic content. In Merlin's defence, tea actually is Sri Lanka's main export in terms of income generated (rice is the main crop but most is consumed domestically).

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/lka/

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/lka/
119 of 121  -   Report This Post

mooncow

22nd June 2020, 15:23
afish, and suzannahj: well done with your progress so far. The preamble can be tricky to unpick, as it tries to pack a lot of detail into a few words. Some weeks you will find considerable discussion on here as to exactly what the preamble meant! But many of the things it mentions (clashes, cycles, misprints, etc) will become familiar as you do a few of these, and they’re well worth the effort to learn.

afish, I would say that referring to Chambers is absolutely vital. Even if you have a huuuge knowledge of obscure words — and the setters love to find the most obscure! — the clues sometimes reflect specifics of how Chambers defines a word, so a clue that is mysterious becomes suddenly clear when you look up the Chambers definition of a key word.

29a is the abbreviation, and a well known one. “Who may save”, it says, and if you manage a post-lockdown trip to the seaside stay safe so they don’t end up having to save you!

If you’ve got the misprint message, take it literally. What do you have for the clue that’s mentioned? And what was on its reverse? Actually on the reverse. Google it if it’s not in your record collection. Then trace those fifteen letters through the clash cells — it’ll sometimes use the letter from the across clue and sometimes from the down clue — starting in the TL quadrant then TR then BL then BR and you’ll have written out some handy big letters. The *other* choices at all the clashes spell an entirely different form of the thing that can also be covered by and entirely different form of what the big letters spell out! It’s worth persevering because the satisfaction from finishing one of these is considerable :-)
120 of 121  -   Report This Post