CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cockie

9th May 2020, 18:06
Thanks drxx - as always, the title PDM occurred shortly after posting.
41 of 82  -   Report This Post

rad

9th May 2020, 18:45
Thanks to everyone on here, I’ve finished this one.

Quite often we are expected to know titles, authors and principal characters, which may require quite a bit of googling, or a very well stocked bookshelf. Now we have to know all sorts of details from the story. I had never read any of this author’s works, though I must admit I enjoyed reading this one.

Surely they cannot keep up the pretence that the internet is not needed for these puzzles!
42 of 82  -   Report This Post

unclued

9th May 2020, 19:13
I totally agree with your last comment rad. Assuming you hadn’t read the book, the only way of confirming what’s going on (pre-internet) would have meant a trip to the library only to find the book was out on loan or never available in the first place. This puzzle is a perfect example of the sort that without access to the necessary reference material, the endgame could never be guessed. I certainly couldn’t have done this without numerous google searches.
43 of 82  -   Report This Post

malone

9th May 2020, 19:17
I didn't recollect the book at all, but I remembered the famous tv versions...
44 of 82  -   Report This Post

loge

9th May 2020, 19:28
That’s a point which has been debated for some time, Rad. As it happens I possess a copy of the story, so wouldn’t have needed the Internet, but still looked at the Wiki version to save time (because I’m lazy).

In principle I agree with you. I can’t see how anyone could have completed 4603 without online help. One could argue that three weeks’ solving time was enough time to look up Grand National winners etc. in a library, although that was hardly possible at the present time!

I suspect that the rule about Internet references is there to discourage setters from themes that can ONLY be researched online, with no other possible resources available. It’s obeyed in spirit, I think, if not to the letter.
45 of 82  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

9th May 2020, 20:14
In addition to moving the weapon twice, what needs to be done in order to leave a total of 14 empty cells ?
46 of 82  -   Report This Post

ginge

9th May 2020, 20:18
Hi son1ofrover1, "heed the instruction" given in the unclued.
47 of 82  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

9th May 2020, 20:40
Thanks, Ginge, but how does one go about d...ing P in a way that leaves 6, rather than 7, empty cells (the other 8 being caused by the weapon's double movement)?
48 of 82  -   Report This Post

ginge

9th May 2020, 20:50
Hi again son1ofrover1, think of a synonym for the verb in the instruction, perhaps used in the sport of boxing (3, him, 3, 4). He's not disappearing.
49 of 82  -   Report This Post

ginge

9th May 2020, 21:20
Hi again son1ofrover1, I didn't want to be overly specific this early but if my last post didn't get you there look at the other thread.
50 of 82  -   Report This Post