CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

scarlett

24th November 2019, 15:33
...don't really understand the preamble...are the first lot of clues the "downs" in normal order? then the other set the acrosses...??
1 of 55  -   Report This Post

turast

24th November 2019, 17:14
The first (1) wordplay-only clue is a down entry and the second (2) is an across entry. I've just written them in, looked to cold solve as many as I can, starting with the other 11 letter entry. I hope it will become clear after that.
2 of 55  -   Report This Post

cockie

24th November 2019, 17:19
99% of this is a nice puzzle - any ambiguities are sorted out by the 11-letter highlighting ... but that pesky 1% at the end. I can think of a few words 10,8, but the implication is that it's a phrase that's needed, and I can't find a "thematic" one. I can't see it in the grid (and if it were there surely it would need to be highlighted also), so ... ?
3 of 55  -   Report This Post

drxx

24th November 2019, 21:15
cockie - The two words under the grid come from the clue amendments in order.
The letters (+/-) for entries give the same anagram twice (which you've probably got from the title, anyway).
4 of 55  -   Report This Post

drxx

24th November 2019, 22:00
...just to be clear - the +/- phrase anagram is not what goes under the grid.
5 of 55  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

26th November 2019, 07:55
I am really struggling with this and have just 15 answers. I cannot manage the two numbered ones (Crew audibly supporting nobleman in Mallorca - 6 and Athletic rugby player embodies power, active in haka say - 11) and where each answer is entered is completely beyond me. The only entry I currently have is the answer to 'White upper-class corporal, say, gave threatening look' where I think the third letter is unclued. Any guidance to get me on track would be much appreciated.
6 of 55  -   Report This Post

orson

26th November 2019, 08:28
Spanish nobleman = don and crew = eight (sounds like, so ate).

Rugby player = prop and haka = rite.

I've finished apart from the (10, 8) words. I thought they might be mathematical terms but that would have to be (11, 8). It seems I have to take the amended letters in clue order and form anagrams and to be honest I can't be bothered after having spent so much time on it already!
7 of 55  -   Report This Post

drxx

26th November 2019, 10:23
There is no need to find the anagram - what goes under the grid comes from the clue amendments in order (first word begins CO... second word begins PE...).
8 of 55  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

26th November 2019, 13:46
Thank you for that Orson. It gives me something to work on. I am still trying to figure out the sequence in which the answers are entered because, despite the preamble, there seems to be no logic to it.
9 of 55  -   Report This Post

drxx

26th November 2019, 14:01
The clues are given in order - all of the across clues first, with entries switching between both groups, then the downs, ditto.
10 of 55  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1410