CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

8th September 2019, 01:21
Well, I think this is another Everyman that will divide opinion.

I counted six straight anagrams plus another four partial ones, which I'm guessing won't please everyone.

I don't know if this was intentional or I'm missing something, but the phrase "movie star" appeared in two clues and the word "movie" in another, and an actual movie character was the answer to another.

As is becoming the setter's 'signature', there's a connection between the first and the last across clues. I'm just old enough to remember 25a and , for old times sake, have just now played it on Youtube (I hope I'm not going to be humming it all day now!)

4d was a new word to me but the wordplay was clear so no complaints.

The one query I have concerns 17d, one of the anagrams. If I've understood it correctly, then shouldn't it be 'top' not 'topless' in regards of 'Everyman' to get the "M"?

My COD is 22d which I really enjoyed.

As usual, I'll be interested to hear the thoughts of Everyman regulars and any newcomers, so please feel free to leave a comment, or, if necessary, ask for a hint.
1 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th September 2019, 01:39
PS. Another "movie star" I inexplicably neglected to mention at 19d. I'm looking to see if there's a theme that connects that I've missed but I can't see anything.
2 of 45  -   Report This Post

mattrom

8th September 2019, 02:30
Re 17d - It works if 'everyman' = ME and 'Exeter' is topless.
I thought this was more like the Everyman of old, some simple, but nice clues, and a sense of humour.
2d. does seem topical.

3 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th September 2019, 02:32
PPS. Just spotted another anagram - make that eleven now.
4 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th September 2019, 02:39
I think you're right Mattrom.

As you surmised, I thought it was instructing us to remove the M, (by making "Me" (Everyman) 'topless'), but, as you pointed out, if the 'topless' instruction refers to Exeter, it works perfectly.

I stand corrected.
5 of 45  -   Report This Post

phil10000

8th September 2019, 08:32
Can anyone help with 24a? 4-letter word, I've got 2 of the letters, and I'm completely stumped!
6 of 45  -   Report This Post

phil10000

8th September 2019, 08:37
Scratch that -- I had a typo in 18d!!! There's half an hour I'll never get back.
7 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th September 2019, 08:38
hi Phil, it's one of the anagram clues and the definition is - Ilkley, say.
8 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th September 2019, 08:39
Sorry Phil, our posts crossed.
9 of 45  -   Report This Post

phil10000

8th September 2019, 08:44
Thanks anyway Brendan. Overall I thought it was just about perfect this week (my fat finger notwithstanding!). Particularly liked 12 and 23 across, and I'm definitely going to find an excuse to use 4d some time soon. Have a good day and see you next week.
10 of 45  -   Report This Post