CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dylan

30th August 2019, 20:47
This looks very hard. I know it's early days, but I've struggled so far, and have got just two answers. I'm looking forward to some tips here eg 16ac is the definition the first word?
1 of 86  -   Report This Post

sunray

30th August 2019, 21:44
dylan, I have about 5.
Think of a 8 letter word starting with R for prompt. (16A)
Drop the note occurring in first half.
What remains is give.

a of a note could be extra, I cannot find any other extra letter.
2 of 86  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

31st August 2019, 07:52
Hi Sunray

Reread the preamble.

Some clues don’t have a letter removed.
3 of 86  -   Report This Post

dylan

31st August 2019, 09:07
Thanks Sunray, that's led to just a few more! Still really struggling. Any thoughts on 14 ac, or also on 44ac? - I have a group in mind, but they don't quite fit.

Thanks
4 of 86  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

31st August 2019, 10:35
There is a clash in 44a. The group is D Ream.

5 of 86  -   Report This Post

tonynannini

31st August 2019, 12:19
Dylan, 14ac was my loi. Fungi is the definition. It's a word for nodules around "on" for "close to" plus an "e" for earth. Hope that's not too much help.
6 of 86  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

31st August 2019, 12:36
A wonderful crossword in my opinion.

Great fun. Shark never disappoints.
7 of 86  -   Report This Post

turast

31st August 2019, 13:02
I've completed the "crosswordy" bit (solving the clues, spotting the missed letters, siting and resolving the clashes). I've even gone as far as dropping appropriate letters into the bottom row. Now I've arrived at the "colouring in" bit, I'm a bit stumped.

I'm assuming that the 9 letter word is the thing generically hinted at by the 5 words given by removed letters. In the preamble the words "cells touching at a side or corner" are used. I took "sides" to mean only the vertical dividing lines betwen cells (NOT the horizontals). However, if I'm starting from the only possible initial letter in the top row, I can only trace my required word through cells connected through their tops and bottoms (Row 2 Column 6 to Row 3 Column 6). Can someone give a hint to the highlighting? I've already seen (6 letters NE to SW) a line, and dangling from it (3 letters N to S) a thematic metal object.
8 of 86  -   Report This Post

tonynannini

31st August 2019, 14:15
Hi, Turast. I'm at a similar stage and have found a further 9 letters in 3 rows/columns adjacent to the 3 letter item. It seems too much of a coincidence for them not to be relevant, especially considering their position.
9 of 86  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

31st August 2019, 16:45
Definitely no coincidence Tony, they are another component. If in doubt suggest checking the Wikipedia entry for the thematic name and find out what they got up to in their shed ...

Excellent puzzle but crikey that was tough!
10 of 86  -   Report This Post