CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

granama1

2nd September 2019, 16:06
Re 22d there's an extra letter in 'brag' which leaves a nautical slang word for the answer which if you add the thrown out ASpade gives the other answer to part of the clue.
21a I'm not really convinced about my parsing as I think of the answer more in terms of sections rather than 'bounds'.
61 of 86  -   Report This Post

drxx

2nd September 2019, 16:07
granama1 - 34 is in Chambers as an alt sp. - WEF is (abbrev) 'with effect from' and the extra letter (i) comes from T(i)ES.
37 extra (t) from '(t)urn'
38 is an alt sp. for a man's name - 'born' = NE + 'nappy' is ALE

The extra letters from 30 + 32 plus these and your Z give a foreign word for the theme.
62 of 86  -   Report This Post

drxx

2nd September 2019, 16:14
21 'learn' = CON (arch) + 'about' = C + S(quare) around 'I(n)' - 'bounds' is the container indication.
63 of 86  -   Report This Post

granama1

2nd September 2019, 16:40
drxx, thanks! About the only thing I hadn't looked up in Chambers was 'nappy'...doh. I'd actually seen the answer to 34 in Chambers but was completely distracted by the use of 'Ed'. It's the first time I've seen that as an indicator and have added it to my memory bank.
Found the SW corner a bit of a brainache. Getting better since I bought Chambers (did Sunday's Azed in an hour!)
Thanks again.
64 of 86  -   Report This Post

drxx

2nd September 2019, 16:50
granama1, I think you're going to be seeing an awful lot more of Ed from now on.
65 of 86  -   Report This Post

granama1

2nd September 2019, 16:56
drxx, Indeed! (I meant to say SE corner in my previous post). I think buying Chambers is going to be a great investment. I've discovered that the internet can be quite limited!
66 of 86  -   Report This Post

drxx

2nd September 2019, 17:10
I think you'll wonder how you ever got by without Chambers, granama1 - I've got the old edition upstairs and the one before that is in the boot of my car held together with sellotape (the dictionary, not the car).
67 of 86  -   Report This Post

crates

3rd September 2019, 01:13
Bit of a mishap regarding the delivery of the ordered times for last Saurday while I was away. If any kind soul has a blank copy of crossword 9570 that they can email to me it would be very much appreciated... nick.carter3@talktalk.net
68 of 86  -   Report This Post

ginge

3rd September 2019, 12:46
Hi crates, it should be with you now.
69 of 86  -   Report This Post

midgers

3rd September 2019, 13:47
What am I missing? I have a full grid, everything highlighted and sketched but when I try to drop the letters down I have a problem in column 5. The only T in that column belongs to 23, and if it drops down I am left with a four letter word at 23 which is not a "real word or phrase" I did wonder if I was dropping the wrong E in couln 3 but that just makes it worse.
70 of 86  -   Report This Post