CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

redhead

24th August 2019, 08:46
Found this on the website under 'Cryptic' although it is a prize.
Very complicated instructions - I don't understand how one can tell which clues need to be anagramized. Alternate across and down? Any help in clarifying the instructions gratefully received!
1 of 100  -   Report This Post

chrise

24th August 2019, 08:52
I was just going to ask as weel. If one of the solutions is angrammed and a letter added before being entered, won't it be longer than the other one?
2 of 100  -   Report This Post

redhead

24th August 2019, 08:58
I think you find a word one letter short of the solution and then add a letter to this word and anagramize it. The problem I have is knowing where this happens...
3 of 100  -   Report This Post

hywel

24th August 2019, 09:10
Can some clever person confirm my answers for 17D
I have put sonntag on left and Maitre D on right. That gave an N for my alphabet and anagram one. Is that correct please?
4 of 100  -   Report This Post

redhead

24th August 2019, 09:17
17D. Working during male party one day in Berlin, I dreamt about head waiter (4,3;6,1)
Spoiler alert (please don't put solutions down at this stage)
I got these too but I don't think sonntag is right. Working out the across/down instruction to alternate the letters added, it should mean that T goes in to the anagram not N. And the solution is 4,3 so must be another word...
5 of 100  -   Report This Post

tobyhoward

24th August 2019, 09:23
Redhead said> "Working out the across/down instruction to alternate the letters added" is what I don't follow.

There are 26 slots in each grid. The instruction says: " The 26 alphabetical letters so used are to be added alternately to these across and down anagrams." So, we are going us use the letters A-Z once each, I think it means. But what is the significance of the "added alternately to these across and down anagrams" bit? cheers all!
6 of 100  -   Report This Post

hywel

24th August 2019, 09:35
Thanks Redhead. Point taken. Sorry
7 of 100  -   Report This Post

redhead

24th August 2019, 09:40
Alternately means, I think, that eg 7A add A, 1D add B, 8A add C, 2D add D...and so on
8 of 100  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

24th August 2019, 09:46
sontag is what you get first for the first bit, then add the missing letter ....easily worked out to be T ...gives a 4,3 anagram
9 of 100  -   Report This Post

redhead

24th August 2019, 09:55
Got Sontag and the T...but the anagram could be anything.
10 of 100  -   Report This Post