CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jaffra

26th August 2019, 19:09
Roof:

Like you I am struggling with the last few, despite all the help from everyone for which thanks.

LHS 8ac, Synonym for extra outside synonym for rest, definition dramatist, (not English)

5d, Yes, an island which is divided into two countries.

20ac, As previously noted, synomym for peculiar in one sense, and a type of ad. Adding I leads to an anagram of an unusual two-word phrase.

4d, Double definition, species of eagle and monster.

6d, His country's sounds like girl's name

11ac, I think your R is wrong. I haven't fully parsed it, but the hydrocarbon seems to be a paint solvent with letters removed, D added, and the only anagram.

Now for my problems:

2d, LH and RHS;

7ac RHS

13d LH and RHS

That's not all I am still missing, but hopefully it will be enough to get the rest.
91 of 100  -   Report This Post

roof

26th August 2019, 19:09
Thanks Sheep.

Naturally, as often happens, I got 8ac and 5d in LHS just after I posted. Thanks to your hints I have now got 4d and 11ac on RHS. Just two left to go.
92 of 100  -   Report This Post

ged

26th August 2019, 19:29
For Jaffra's problems:

2d, LHS: 3-letter word for taking the blame or charge (begins with r) plus the added letter, then anagrammize.

2d RHS; Standard abbreviation for a well known UK organization for women followed by the sound people make when they want you to be quiet.

7ac RHS; Slang word (maybe Australian) for trousers and also what you are doing when making progress (making great ......s)

93 of 100  -   Report This Post

roof

26th August 2019, 20:20
Hi jaffra

I now have 11ac RHS I think. for 6d I can fit in a girl's name but it doesn't sound like any country I know. I have to keep thinking about 20ac

Meanwhile 13d RHS is an unusual musical instrument that you might find in a museum. I'd never heard of it. It is an anagram of police and hide.

13d left I got quite early from the crossers I'd got. I think it was a plane figure, not a square but..... If you add the U and anagram you get the answer. I think I got it by working backwards, finding an answer that fitted, taking out the u and then anagramming it and see if it fits the clue. I've resorted to doing that with a few. I've tried that with 20ac but it hasn't worked!
94 of 100  -   Report This Post

sunray

26th August 2019, 21:12
roof,
20ac LHS is each (3) + Child (3) + Alabama (2); ADD I and make 4,5 phrase.
RHS is anagram of VIR and screen
95 of 100  -   Report This Post

roof

26th August 2019, 22:24
Many thanks Sunray

I had already got 20ac RHS. It's the other one (LHS) that has been causing me problems, but thanks to your hint I have now solved the clue. I'm just trying to find the anagram, which I expect to shortly.

I've just had a brainwave on 6d as well, so expect to finish shortly. What a marathon.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for their generous hints
96 of 100  -   Report This Post

pattie

28th August 2019, 10:48
I have finished save for 19 across in LHS, and I have ?o?t?. I have gazed at this for the last 2 days and am no further forward. No-one else seems to have sought help for this, so I must be missing something obvious, any hints??
97 of 100  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

28th August 2019, 10:51
can't think of a hint ...scroll down for the answer

FORTH
98 of 100  -   Report This Post

zozozo

28th August 2019, 11:22
Definition is onward

A three letter word indicating support & 2 letters from ‘the’
99 of 100  -   Report This Post

pattie

28th August 2019, 11:42
Thanks xwordfan & zozozo. Despite having got the 19ac RHS, I had convinced myself that the LHS one was an anagram type clue. Doh
100 of 100  -   Report This Post