CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

xtineb

24th August 2019, 11:08
For 17D, I’ve gone for another day of the week, and managed an anagram with +t. Does that seem right to anyone else?
21 of 100  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

24th August 2019, 11:13
no because the word play gives s on tag
22 of 100  -   Report This Post

xtineb

24th August 2019, 11:17
I was thinking of M for male. But My answer doesn’t look promising for the 22 across.
23 of 100  -   Report This Post

redhead

24th August 2019, 11:27
To be honest I'm giving up on this for now. It's just no fun. As far as I can tell there is no clue for the anagramated words, no theme to link them, so how do you know whether they are right? It's just guesswork...
24 of 100  -   Report This Post

tobyhoward

24th August 2019, 11:42
I'm with ReadHead. It's no fun. I'm fed up with this, alas :-( First Guardian Prize not done in about 25 years!
25 of 100  -   Report This Post

fazed

24th August 2019, 11:54
Me too. Worst holiday prize ever!
26 of 100  -   Report This Post

tobyhoward

24th August 2019, 12:10
It must have been a massively difficult puzzle to compile, even with software etc, but not enough thought has been given to the solvability. The instructions are not clear, and the anagramising can be solved only via checked letters and guesswork. So I'm out. Well at least I have the weekend free now!
27 of 100  -   Report This Post

roof

24th August 2019, 14:56
I've just started and am grateful for some clarity on the absurd instructions. It may all be a step too far for me. Are we sure that the 26 letters are A-Z and that some letters aren't repeated?

I've only read some of the across clues and just got one (14ac) for the left hand grid, which is fairly staight forward, but I'm not sure if I should now look for an undefined four letter word, which I then anagram and add a letter or the other way round. At this stage I'm not sure which letter I should add!

Why couldn't Maskarade just give us a simple two grid puzzle?
28 of 100  -   Report This Post

ged

24th August 2019, 15:18
The 26 letters to be added are indeed A to Z. The first letter of the alphabet has to be added to the first part of 7ac. The second letter of the alphabet has to be added to the second part of 8 ac. The third latter of the alphabet has to be added to the first part of 10ac and so on alternating like that right to 24 down where Z has to be added to the second part of the clue.

A note on 17d: The setter his mistaken in assuming that there is a German day of the week named SONTAG. As has already been pointed out, the correct spelling is SONNTAG. However, to get the correct answer, solvers most work with the spelling SONTAG and add the extra letter (which can easily be worked out as W), so the answer will be an anagram of SONTAGW split 4.3.
29 of 100  -   Report This Post

slanty

24th August 2019, 15:19
Fairly certain each letter is only used once and they appear to be added in order, ie. add A to 7 across and Z to 24 down and alphabetically in between, not sure what is meant by "added alternately". So for 14ac in the right hand you're looking for a four letter word, and an F, make an anagram from the letters, get a word that isn't defined.

Not 100% sure all that is correct as I don't have all that much done but I have answers around the beginning, end, and middle and it appears to be holding up.
30 of 100  -   Report This Post