CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

fgsltw

20th April 2019, 08:02
I was hoping for a gentler one for bank holiday weekend. Only solved 4 clues and don’t know how to enter them as their size does not match the cells available if positioned where I think they should be. I’ve come to a grinding halt. Please can someone help to get me moving again!
1 of 111  -   Report This Post

planks

20th April 2019, 11:22
I'm in much the same boat fgsltw. The preamble states that all the actual answers letters are entered in the grid but does not vouchsafe where. I am assuming that some may entered elsewhere.

The clue beginning 'Queen' is quite straightforward and if I've got it right, entered normally. Hope this helps.
2 of 111  -   Report This Post

casanova

20th April 2019, 12:50
I have the answer for the Queen clue as well, but how do you know it is entered normally. It might be reflected. And I have a number of sensible solutions to clues that won’t fit together unless you move a single letter. I have also noticed that there are more clues than spaces in the grid
3 of 111  -   Report This Post

planks

20th April 2019, 12:54
The short answer, casanova, is that I don't know for sure. At the moment I have a nearly full grid with several more clues to solve a little space for them. So far the pdm has eluded me.
4 of 111  -   Report This Post

planks

20th April 2019, 12:59
That should have read 'and little space'
5 of 111  -   Report This Post

foinaven

20th April 2019, 13:14
I have three quarters of the grid completed, with the bottom right part causing problems. I know what how to enter the relevant answers in the top left quarter, but I still have some annoying clues to solve for the part which is causing problems. However, another session might well lead to illumination.

My advice would be: concentrate on solving clues, enter the answers for which there seems no difficulty, keep a note of the redundant and missing letters, and be preparing to do a lot of erasing.
6 of 111  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

20th April 2019, 13:18
Go with your instinct Planks - the majority by far are entered normally. I've just crawled over the line and thought it was a real slog, even the PDM wasn't much of one really. I also don't see what was to be gained by omitting the entry lengths, other than wilfully making things tougher. I feel the sun calling now .... good luck.
7 of 111  -   Report This Post

planks

20th April 2019, 13:30
Thanks s_pugh, I too feel the sun calling. Maybe I'll see the light after a spot of therapeutic gardening.
8 of 111  -   Report This Post

sunray

20th April 2019, 14:01
I am still confused by more clues than grid entries available.

Which clue starts 1d?
What happens to 6 extra clues?
9 of 111  -   Report This Post

foinaven

20th April 2019, 14:17
Bottom right now sorted. It seems obvious but it took me a long time to see.
10 of 111  -   Report This Post