CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crates

12th November 2018, 18:01
dazedandconfused - Are you sure you have chosen the two required names in the completed grid - although possible alternatives - only 2 are not anagrams and are indeed a 'swap'
31 of 45  -   Report This Post

dazedandconfused

12th November 2018, 18:45
Many thanks Meursalt and Crates. That's the second time recently that Mrs D&C has led my up the wrong garden path.
I will have to stop delegating end games to her, and trust in the compiler. As they say, if it looks wrong, it is wrong.
32 of 45  -   Report This Post

merenz

12th November 2018, 20:15
Just want to check that I have understood the submission format correctly. We highlight the three cryptic works. But we don’t need to highlight the two creators? Just swap the letters?
33 of 45  -   Report This Post

meursault

12th November 2018, 20:45
That's the way I understand it, Merenz. Highlight 26 cells.
34 of 45  -   Report This Post

sophiajones

13th November 2018, 08:56
Thanks for the information.
35 of 45  -   Report This Post

merenz

13th November 2018, 10:26
Thanks Meursault
36 of 45  -   Report This Post

simond9x

13th November 2018, 19:02
Daft really..... I've completely finished the endgame but I still haven't solved 18a. I think all the crossing Downs are correct but the unchecked cell remains blank because I can't find a word that fits. If I had to suspect one of the Downs, it would be 1d but my answer seems to fit the clue perfectly. So, I'd appreciate a hint (not the answer, please) for 18a. I know the escaped letter which I assume becomes the 4th letter of the second word but the wordplay escapes me. Thanks in advance.
37 of 45  -   Report This Post

meursault

13th November 2018, 19:29
Hi Simond9x, as you already have everything except the 3rd letter, it's difficult to say anything without actually giving you the answer. It's a girl's name. A lesser known version of a well-know first name and surname (singer with smash hit single from 1979, from the perspective of a dumped woman). N has escaped from the 2nd word, simple 3-letter synonym of that reversed around a 3-letter word for 'a' drink. Escapee forms 2nd letter of 4th word.
38 of 45  -   Report This Post

simond9x

13th November 2018, 19:52
Thanks, Meursault. Got it now. Never seen it spelled like that before - I'm obviously placing too much reliance on Chambers!
39 of 45  -   Report This Post

bazotto

14th November 2018, 08:26
Soon be my bedtime and I'd appreciate help in finishing this hard mental work-out so that it doesn't keep me awake. I too have managed to achieve the end game - that the 2nd person was at my old school was an advantage. But still don't have 43ac, or 5dn! This is probably the most difficult I have yet attempted and consider my approaching hibernation well earned. MTIA
40 of 45  -   Report This Post