CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

14th February 2015, 08:58
Indeed. delta U (and hence delta A/F) are measured under conditions of constant volume, e.g. in a bomb calorimeter. Most experiments are done at constant pressure instead; this involved delta H and hence delta G.

One last pedantic point, meursault. I think you mean "trigger" rather than "catalyst" in your last post. A catalyst speeds up a process that would occur any way, although possibly at a very slow rate; it doesn't cause something to happen that wouldn't happen without it. I doubt if we would have been discussing thermodynamics, even very slowly, without your original mention! (Sorry - this is one of my pet dislikes in misuses of scientific terms.)
81 of 83  -   Report This Post

meursault

14th February 2015, 19:36
That's funny, Chrise, thank you. Though I have been liberally mixing scientific usages with everyday usages. In Chambers, a catalyst can cause change...In business terminology a catalyst is a very good thing. But the point you pursued was correct. My original statement should have included the words "at constant temperature and pressure." Probably I'll not comment again on this board, maybe 4333 when I eventually get to look at it...
82 of 83  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th February 2015, 20:08
It would be a shame if you were put off this forum, meursault - I would welcome your contributions.
83 of 83  -   Report This Post