CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

3rd October 2026, 00:51
Thanks to Paul for another enjoyable puzzle.

On the whole I found this pretty staightforward. However, that's not to say there aren't a few very trick clues with some complicated wordplay.

I'm still not happy I've got 9,1 correct, so I'll have to mull on that for a while.

How did you find it? Let us know in the comments.

Stat safe:-)

1 of 27  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd October 2026, 00:55
Just solved 9,1 (brought back memories of my teens 😉) - I had the wrong tense for the first word in 3d and so, once that was corrected, I immediately spotted the answer.
2 of 27  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd October 2026, 00:57
I thought this was solidly on the tricky side and great fun. Many thanks to Paul.

Lots of challenging clues with non-obvious definitions.

COD definitely 17! The long candidate list includes 25, 14, 11, 15, 27, 26 and 10.

FOI 1a, LOI 13.

Can't see a theme. Don't expect a Nina from Paul; there is a HUGE lurking in the 14th row but surely a coincidence.

Brendan, for (9,1) read the clue carefully. You'll wind up kicking yourself. 🤣
3 of 27  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd October 2026, 01:00
IMO the clue distribution is somewhat "heavy-tailed", to use a geekish term. A fair number of relatively "low-hanging fruit" clues, but also quite a few challenges.
4 of 27  -   Report This Post

darla

3rd October 2026, 01:04
I think I was actually on Paul’s wavelength for once. This didn’t seem as tough for me as his usual offerings. As you said to Brendan, geeked, I kicked myself over 9,1. I really liked 18, and geeker’s choice, 17, but my pick for COD is 15 for the very clever definition.
5 of 27  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd October 2026, 01:08
Hi Darla. hi Geeker,

I agree, the definition in 15d is truly inspired. I also quite liked 25a.
6 of 27  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd October 2026, 01:09
PS. I can honestly say that I have never in all my life come across the answer to 17d:-)
7 of 27  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd October 2026, 01:12
Brendan, I loved 17 because it originated in something (to avoid spoilers) I greatly enjoyed as a child.
8 of 27  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

3rd October 2026, 01:13
Brendan
It is a word invented by Lewis Carroll in his poem about a mythical monster.
9 of 27  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd October 2026, 01:16
Thanks guys,

I've heard of the work but never read it.

The things you learn doing crosswords:-)
10 of 27  -   Report This Post