CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

20th August 2026, 15:40
Ah, many thanks, Malone
11 of 40  -   Report This Post

luftmensch

20th August 2026, 15:44
I thought 28 was suggested by an extra word in 40.
12 of 40  -   Report This Post

jono

20th August 2026, 15:49
Luftmensch, I think you made the same mistake as me.
5 relates to 40.
28 relates to 36.
13 of 40  -   Report This Post

malone

20th August 2026, 15:59
Jono, yes, that's what I had for 5 - and how I worked out your mention of singular and plural.
14 of 40  -   Report This Post

jono

20th August 2026, 16:34
Thanks again, Malone.
I think our friend Prospero may be blogging this one.
15 of 40  -   Report This Post

prospero

21st August 2026, 13:04
yes, jono, you are very astute with your dates ... I have been confused by a lot of extra adjectives - pine, small, old, fierce, currant - and for a long time had 20a linked to big in the clue for 43a but have realised it must go with the extra word in 14a ... a lot of reverse-parsing involved but the blog is now complete. A fun solve, I thought.
16 of 40  -   Report This Post

gerba

21st August 2026, 17:13
Shouldn't the Speccie double up the prize pot for this week's puzzle ?
17 of 40  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd August 2026, 13:59
I complained to the Spectator about the repeated puzzle and its wrong preamble. After several days, I got a short, perfunctory response. I was delighted to be able to respond to that - 'Thanks, and I'm glad this week's puzzle is error- free. Oh, wait...' Yes, I know the two Across headings isn't as bad an error as a regurgitated/recycled puzzle, but surely there shouldn't have been an error at all?
18 of 40  -   Report This Post

solidair123

22nd August 2026, 17:47
I need help with the notes! "Within seven unclued lights are spelled out the ingredients of the eighth, which solvers must shade".
19 of 40  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

22nd August 2026, 18:26
Hello SolidAir
Hopefully you have most of the clued solutions. You then need to make guesses at the unclued lights - I think that the two longer ones at 1 and 12 Down are the least ambiguous, if somewhat unfamiliar words. I also picked 20 Across and 41 Across fairly quickly. The last in particular contains an unusual set of letters. What might they mean?
20 of 40  -   Report This Post