CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sjdrew

27th May 2026, 16:48
thanks for the hint. I'm still baffled after staring at it all week. I had written down all the clues I thought were thematic and seen nothing. Then I saw from recent posts that some of the unaltered answers were part of it which I hadn't considered but I still think I'm beaten. Great crossword though.
Thanks to all the contributors. Think it's over 10 years since I last posted.
Stephen
51 of 56  -   Report This Post

twit

18th July 2026, 08:25
Am I alone in thinking the Guardian is being very slow in announcing the outcome of the May 2026 bonus Genius that marked the 30,000th Guardian Cryptic (closing date 30 May)? The message in the trail of breadcrumbs over 18 months described it as "a cerebral race" with "a wonderful prize."
The Guardian Crossword Editor's blog of 2 June (https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/crossword-blog/2026/jun/02/crossword-editors-desk-celebrating-30000-cryptics-with-a-treasure-hunt) explained the breadcrumb trail and promised "winner details to follow", before going on to discuss the solution to the regular May Genius (No. 275), but not of the bonus one. The winner of No. 275 has been announced.
The next Editor's blog of 6 July (https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/crossword-blog/2026/jul/06/crossword-editors-desk-farewell-to-eddie) discussed the solution to the June Genius 276 (winner not yet announced), but was also silent on the May bonus one.
What's going on? I think we should be told.
52 of 56  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

19th July 2026, 17:59
Twit, You are not alone.

I keep coming back to this.

There's something afoot.

So much effort went into the preamble, and so little into the podium and the post-match.

It was so clearly a race, but, like you, I'm waiting for the chequered flag and champagne shower.

Somebody must have got there first...

Ahem.... Insider trading? Shenanigans?? Or is the saga ongoing???
53 of 56  -   Report This Post

twit

13th September 2026, 14:10
Remember this one? The latest Guardian crossword editor's blog was published on Friday, reporting on the solution to Genius 278 (for which the winner has been announced), but there is still complete silence on the May 2026 bonus Genius, which marked the Guardian's 30,000th cryptic.

I emailed the Guardian crossword editors over a month ago to ask:
* What was the "wonderful prize" promised for the winner of the "race"?
* What was the winner's time for submission in the "race"?
* Who won the "race" and thus the wonderful prize?
* Who won the £100 monthly prize for entries by the 30 May deadline, which was (separately) promised on the puzzle itself?
* What is the solution for the puzzle?
* If you can't answer any of these questions, why not?

I sent a reminder chasing a reply over 3 weeks ago. I have not had so much as an acknowledgement of receipt to either email (but equally no non-delivery message). I can only conclude that the 'trail of breadcrumbs' that led up to the bonus Genius was largely a work of fiction. Let's hope the Times can do better when it publishes its 30,000th puzzle.
54 of 56  -   Report This Post

jono

13th September 2026, 14:46
I admire your perseverance, Twit!
55 of 56  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

13th September 2026, 16:46
Hi Jono, Like Twit, I think (or hope) that the story is not over yet. I've been looking for clues, but have only found dead ends. I simply don't have the bloodhound's nose of a true sleuth - too much happens to distract me
56 of 56  -   Report This Post