CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

micky

13th January 2024, 14:54
Birder, the first part of 12a is something which may or may not be a saloon, hence "perhaps" in the clue. The last part is "local stripped", and there's a letter between them. I had never heard of the word, but had to work out the parsing and then use Google to confirm that the word exists and means a Brazilian. For 19d look at the clue to see the answer.
31 of 50  -   Report This Post

birder

13th January 2024, 15:02
Christ

Has hanks for your help I would never have got 19d I’ve now got 12a. And corrected 7d which was wrong. All done now
32 of 50  -   Report This Post

pault

13th January 2024, 15:16
There's a tune that goes by this name. If you hear it, you'll almost certainly notice you've heard it before.
33 of 50  -   Report This Post

quocunque

13th January 2024, 15:42
How does 25 parse please? To me the "salesperson" is inside not alongside the "trims nails".
34 of 50  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th January 2024, 15:46
Hi Quocunque,

25a - I think "nails" is an inclusion indicator and means that "trims goes around the "salesperson"
35 of 50  -   Report This Post

quocunque

13th January 2024, 15:50
Thanks Brendan. If so, very clumsy grammar, or clever misdirection according to your view.
36 of 50  -   Report This Post

roof

13th January 2024, 18:10
Hi everyone

I read through the crossword after lunch and got quite a few so was hopeful it would be an easy solve. I had to stop and do some ironing (I've still got some to do), but have now finished apart from 6d (is the definition Bottom?). Can I have a hint please.

Lots of words I didn't know (12a, 18d and 19d) and many I still can't parse completely despite all the help here. And of course I didn't know the cricket term in 13ac and couldn't remember my trigonometry.

Parsing issues: 8ac even with "rotating" doesn't make sense to me,
11ac is it meant to be a double definition?,
20ac I didn't understand the "surrounded by harmful" part of the clue or is the harmful part of the definition,
27ac I can't see where the last 3 letters come from.
7d I didn't know those two letters meant Bill. I was expecting AC
16d I can't see the "unqualified bankers in autumn"
18d I'm less sure I've got this right as I had it wrong at first.
22d I still can't see where the "stocks" come in.

I'm not familiar with Tramp as I only do the Saturday crossword and I don't think he occurs usually.

37 of 50  -   Report This Post

tonystock

13th January 2024, 18:11
I really enjoyed this one and finished it in record time for me ! The anagrams always help to get a hold on a puzzle which I like and I have to use google etc anyway as my vocab is not good….I learnt some new words today but was encouraged that I could parse answers that came up on the forum….was just too late to the party to input….mummy is in London with our daughter so Im home alone with my 9 year old boy..Star Wars or Top Gun Maverick ???
38 of 50  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th January 2024, 18:19
Hi Roof,

11a - 3 letter "public" + 4 letter "calling" as in vocation/profession/job etc.

20a - 2 letter "against" + 1 letter "vote on ballot" + 2 letter "surrounded by" - definition is "harmful material"

27a - last 3 letters are from "in" as in 'trendy'

16d - 5 letter "unqualified" (used to stress a point) + 2 letter "bankers in autumn" + 2 letter "Chancellor of the Exchequer"

22d - "stocks" is a containment indicator" telling you that "query oddly" 'stocks' "protective equipment"
39 of 50  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th January 2024, 18:24
Hi Tony,

Does it have to be either/or? If so I'd give Top Gun the nod - either way, enjoy:-)
40 of 50  -   Report This Post